PHP Web Developer
Ever wondered what it would be like to deliver ground breaking new features for the biggest consumer asset management platform in the UK? Hargreaves Lansdown look after over £61.7 billion for 836,000 active clients from our landmark head office in Bristol. Are you the right person to help us innovate on the best direct to consumer investment platform in the UK*?
*Professional Adviser, 2016
The IT Web Development team are a multi-disciplinary group responsible for HLs online trading platform and various other important internal and external web based systems. It is a team who work very closely with business analysts, testers and other areas of the company to deliver critical new functionality to clients and internal users.
We are offering the opportunity for a talented full-stack web developer to join our dedicated, friendly and rapidly growing team. This is an exciting role within a fast-paced working environment based in the heart of Bristol. If successful, you’ll be working closely with a team of skilled developers to deliver improvements and crucial changes to our services, whilst having the opportunity to be instrumental in shaping and delivering large scale systems projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the team to help deliver significant new features for the business
- Provide third line support for existing web applications when necessary
- Responsible for writing high quality code adhering to corporate & regulatory standards, and the peer review of others code
- To ensure existing and newly developed solutions are reliable, secure, performant and maintainable
- Build strong working relationships with colleagues, business users, and other technical teams
- Actively contribute to the overall output of the team (e.g. through knowledge sharing, mentoring, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of PHP, particularly when developing within a Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP stack
- Ability to effectively write W3C compliant HTML & CSS, with an understanding of browser support & standards
- A practical appreciation of database design and working practices, particularly MySQL
- Understanding of professional development methodologies, tools (e.g. SVN, PHPUnit, Jenkins) and wider SDLC
- Grade C or above in Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent), and educated to AS / A level (or equivalent)
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience developing scalable, secure, high performance, database driven web applications, using PHP frameworks – Silex and Symfony particularly advantageous
- Experience using templating engines and formats, in particular, Smarty, Twig and Handlebars
- Experience in working with automated testing solutions, in particular, PHPUnit and Selenium
- Understanding of web application design patterns and object-oriented programming (OOP) model principles
- Knowledge and experience interfacing with Oracle, Apache Solr
- Experience developing RESTful and SOAP APIs and integrating with third party APIs
- Understanding of responsive design principles and responsive front-end frameworks, in particular Foundation
- Knowledge and experience using Sass, delivering AJAX-driven solutions,
- Degree-level 2.i or above in any discipline (computing or science-related preferred)
- IT or Web Development based qualification
Hargreaves Lansdown is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce. As part of your application we would be grateful if you could complete an equal opportunities section. The information will be used solely for diversity monitoring purposes and is not visible to the person reviewing your application form.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77600727