Saga Publishing, Designer
Art Director & Art Editor
Job Description Summary
This is an important role within Saga Publishing that forms part of a busy and creative art and production team.
The designer will primarily support the delivery of art and design for Saga Magazine and associated print, digital, internal marketing and commercial work as required. The role will ensure all art and design meets the brand, publishing and audience expectations of quality, and adheres to our brand identity.
Day-to-day duties may include the design and creative layout of Saga Magazine and other print and digital materials under the direction of the Art Editor.
The role will be hands-on, designing and delivering pages and digital files in line with editorial, marketing and commercial requirements and to a high professional standard.
The role will generate creative design solutions to design challenges, and to manage projects from stakeholders within Saga, such as the commercial manager or internal partners.
Digital design experience would be an advantage: the role will include the creation and delivery of a range of cross-platform digital work.
- To ensure Saga Magazine and associated print and digital outputs adhere to brand, audience and publishing expectations.
- To provide day-to-day delivery of art and design work for Saga Publishing and associated products under the guidance of the Art Editor, ensuring all work meets technical, creative and business requirements, while ensuring Saga Publishing’s style guidelines are met.
- Proven understanding of typography, layout, colour and grid structures in print, and understanding of digital file formats, resolution and creative output for web pages, digital banners and social media content.
- To monitor and act on readership feedback across print and digital, working to improve design, layouts and art to meet accessibility and brand image requirements.
- To provide creative and design solutions to publishing challenges, being aware and acting on design methodologies and approaches, as well as emerging and established magazine design approaches, both on and offline.
- To engage with the life cycle of all artwork – from concept to delivery – including: managing amends within schedules, supplying proofs to the production team, ensuring all artwork meets press pass requirements, and ensuring all pages are checked before sending to repro.
- To provide ad hoc digital design support, including designing digital marketing materials such as MPUs and DPUs, infographics, digital designs and creative content for Saga Publishing’s social media and web site channels. To provide on-going creative and design solutions to digital briefs, from emails to banners, working collaboratively with creatives, UX or developers to deliver digital output of the highest quality and to brief as required.
- Staying on track with emerging digital trends and culture, attending events and engaging with the wider digital creative community.
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least two years relevant experience working in consumer publishing with experience working on consumer magazines.
- Demonstrable portfolio of editorial layouts.
- High levels of competency using Adobe Creative Suite software, with a high degree of experience and expertise in using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Demonstrable knowledge of best practice magazine design principles and approaches.
- An awareness of design for digital output, with digital examples of work
Education and Qualifications:
- Be educated to degree level or similar, ideally in an arts-related field
- Highly motivated with a flexible approach to work, willing to adapt and change depending on business requirements.
- Creative problem solver, with a clear ability to use visual design language in print.
- Produces consistent, high calibre print design and layout work quickly, accurately and with technical proficiency.
- Polite and ‘can do’ ability to engage with teams and key stakeholders across Saga
- Highly organised with a ‘today, not tomorrow’ approach to work, with the ability to prioritise projects and design requirements.
- Personable and able to lead as well as work as part of a team, and a strong sense of personal responsibility in work.
- An excellent communicator and collaborator, able to clearly communicate design ideas and concepts as well as work with other stakeholders to deliver creative solutions.
- There will be project work to complete, which should be done in a professional manner.
Apply by completing the application form below.
The duties listed are not exhaustive. Additional hours of work may be required, as determined by the needs of the business. Managers and staff may be required to undertake additional duties, responsibilities and projects as appropriate.