Associate Director (Competition Economics)
My client, a Big 4 Consultancy, is currently searching for highly motivated outstanding economist to join the Economics team as an Associate Director.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in running projects and maintaining client relationships with minimal supervision from Directors and Partners. S/he will have a major role in ensuring that any client work will be delivered to the highest standards in both content and form. Specialisation and/or significant experience in the application of micro econometrics to competition casework is preferable.
Depending on the nature of the assignment, s/he will manage project teams of around two to twelve people, fostering a collaborative spirit and culture of respect. S/he will often work on several projects at a time, managing project teams or otherwise providing senior input into client deliverables. S/he will maintain a positive attitude when the team is under pressure, supporting other team members when they face challenging situations.
Qualifications and Skills:
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following qualifications and skills:
- Top academic qualifications in economics, with a focus on industrial economics and/or micro econometrics, from a leading institution, at least at MA/MSc level (PhD desirable but not essential).
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- An ability to explain complex economics clearly to non-economists, and apply economic concepts and techniques to real world situations.
- Significant experience and/or qualifications in quantitative techniques/econometrics are an advantage, including using R, Stata and/or Python.
- Very strong command of English. Fluency in other languages desirable but not necessary.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and budgets, on multiple projects simultaneously, and to produce deliverables of consistently high quality.
- An ability to work as part of a team, managing the input of others (including more senior and more junior colleagues where appropriate).
Experience and Background:
Candidates should be able to demonstrate that they have:
- Significant knowledge of using microeconomics to help businesses, government and/ or regulators.
- Solid experience as an applied macroeconomist working in a consulting environment and/ or in government department or regulators.
- Extensive experience in managing the economic analysis (including econometric work) for large projects.
- Extensive experience in managing resources (e.g. budgets) and teams, as well as more junior colleagues more generally.
- Experience in developing new business desirable but not essential.