Solicitor - Costs
Vacancy Solicitor/Costs Draftsperson
Team Property Risk Solutions – Costs
Permanent or 12 month FTC available
With over 2,200 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific.
DAC Beachcroft refers to the DAC Beachcroft Group, which includes a number of differently regulated entities within the UK and internationally.
We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate.
We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with. Our flexible approach to resourcing enables us to apply the right mix of legal, commercial and process skills to deliver the right outcome at the right price, depending on our clients’ individual needs.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the Legal Profession 2012, recognised 121 of our partners and professionals as leading lawyers and we hold with 84 rankings in 34 separate practice areas, 20 of which are number one rankings.
A number of the group's entities based in the UK and Ireland hold certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
The Costs Unit obtains work directly from insurers and indirectly from insurers via instructions to the firm's injury and property damage sub-groups, once damages are settled.
The Costs Unit comprises several distinct teams specialising in a specific area of costs (pre-litigation/post litigation challenges and recovery). The Costs Unit focuses on driving through our insurer clients' costs strategy and building and strengthening client relationships. Team members aim to build strong links and establish good rapport with the clients and claims handlers, which ensures that team members understand the clients businesses and exceed their expectations.
The Birmingham office is looking for a bright and confident individual with good communication skills to join the Costs Budgeting team, focussing on Multi-Track litigated cases, most of which will involve costs up to £1m.
Specific responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
• After initial training, you will have the responsibility for running your own case load of costs matters, preparing costs budgeting forms, setting strategy on these and negotiating settlement/running to detailed assessment by the Court.
• It is envisaged that as you gain experience you will increase your workload having more responsibility in running more complex multi track and higher value cases.
• Building relationships with internal client contacts at all levels.
• Contribute to knowledge sharing within the Costs Unit and internal clients.
• Conduct work in line with client protocols, exceeding Cost Unit benchmarks and providing timely and accurate management information and billing.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms' data security protocols.
• NQ Solicitor or costs draftsperson with experience of costs challenges or costs recoveries;
• Client focused with an ability to build strong relationships with internal and external clients;
• Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure, dealing confidently with changing and conflicting priorities;
• Confident communicator and negotiator;
• Quality and customer service orientated;
• Ability to work on own initiative without close supervision;
• Flexible with an ability to adapt to rapid change, both internally and in the context of clients' businesses;
• Team player with a collegiate approach to knowledge sharing and problem solving, particular in the case of multi-site clients which are supported across the team;
• Whilst the vacancy is in the costs defendant team, the person must be prepared to work in other teams as required to meet the demands of the business.