Claims Handler - Pre Litigation
The overall purpose of this role is to provide a timely, professional and high-quality service to a client in the management of property recovery cases.
• Manage a varied pre-litigation property recovery caseload under supervision. This will include developing a knowledge of legal issues in respect of a variety of peril based recoveries as well as building an understanding of liability issues.
• Seeking recoveries from third party insurers and third party direct via correspondence and the telephone.
• Working to a defined process and client service standards.
• Conduct review of new cases, completing case checklist to identify recovery issues.
• Assess liability and quantum and establish strategy for the case.
• Draft correspondence to insureds requesting additional information as required.
• Having direct access to the computer systems of other supply chain companies.
• Resolve claims through negotiation of settlement.
• Review panel reports and obtain all relevant information to maximise recovery prospects.
• Maintain ongoing contact with the client throughout the pre-litigation process by regular updating of management information.
• Play a key role in developing and maintaining client relationships.
• Ensure that the client’s brand and methodology are promoted effectively in all dealings with third parties.
• Instruct experts and external counsel where appropriate.
• Ensure that case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required by the case.
• Supervision of more junior members of the team.
• Assume responsibility for quality control and client protocol compliance on own and supervisee caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of record keeping, file management and management reporting and information.
• Ensure that the DAC Beachcroft brand and standards are maintained.
• Handle confidential information in line with DAC Beachcroft data security protocols.
• CILEX sponsorship available.
• Previous experience of working as an insurance claims handler within the field of property recovery is desirable.
• Previous experience of working in a supervisory role is desirable.
• Previous experience of civil litigation process is desirable.
• Previous experience of working within an insurance environment is essential.
• IT literate with working knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of case management systems would be an advantage but training will be provided. Good keyboard skills are also essential.
• Client focused with an ability to build strong relationships with clients and third party contacts at all levels.
• Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities.
• Proactive with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems.
• Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail.
• Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential.
• Able to progress tasks using own initiative, seeking guidance and input from others where appropriate.
• Confident verbal and written communication skills. Good telephone skills are essential.
• Committed and enthusiastic with a professional attitude to work and a desire to commit long term to a career in this field.
Our Property Risk Solutions Team advises many leading insurers on all aspects of property insurance claims. The team in the Bristol office handles subrogated recovery claims, property liability claims as well as advising on policy coverage and fraud. The claims are varied but typically arise out of fire, subsidence, flood and product liability. The team also handles marine claims.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.