Cloud Platform Software Engineer - Docker, Kubernetes, Python
The Cloud Platform team is focussed on delivering a fully automated and scalable hybrid cloud platform spanning on-premise and public cloud infrastructures. With a primary focus on Kubernetes, we are designing solutions to enable our development teams to get resilient, high performance and production ready services to support their applications, while ensuring that we can scale the platform and supporting services out to multiple sites around the world in a fully automated way.
Starting from container orchestration and a self healing base platform, the team is focussed on a the full stack, covering security, deployment pipelines and tooling, provision of core services, and “Operations As Code”. If it requires manual intervention, then we’re doing something wrong. We are looking for talented software engineers with a passion for automation.
You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better).
What will I be doing
- Designing and maintaining the core platform and providing visibility of the state and health of all components.
- Managing the deployment pipelines and repositories to deploy into multiple remote sites and public cloud environments.
- Developing “operators” to automate the provision, maintenance and upgrade of core services.
- Constantly improving and refining the metrics and monitoring of the platform to detect problems before they impact our users.
- While having an eye for detail, you will be constantly architecting to design solutions that can be automatically deployed to numerous sites around the world.
- Providing advice, training and mentoring to development teams to help them build the best applications and services possible.
- Actively contributing to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems.
- Supporting production systems as required outside of standard working hours and participate in 24x7 on-call rota.
What do I need to know
- Proven experience with containers orchestration: Docker and Kubernetes.
- Solid experience in Python or Go (other languages a benefit)
- An ability to focus on the detail to rapidly identify and resolve issues
- Ambition to “Automate Everything”
- Passion for open source technologies
- Strong collaboration both within the team and across other infrastructure and development teams.
- Comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
Any of these are also really useful...
- Public cloud exposure; Google / AWS / Azure.
- Hands on experience of build pipelines and software lifecycles
- Use and knowledge of common build tools, repositories and CD/CI tooling.
- Experience using monitoring and alerting tools (e.g., NewRelic, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Proven commercial development experience
- Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery). We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and many more) not to mention our frequently used football table.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77457996