Senior Software Data Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Data Engineering team, working on our project to migrate Ocado’s data portfolio onto the next generation data platform built around the latest Google Big Data and Cloud technologies.
We are looking for a Software Data Engineer to complete our Agile team of 6 developers as we continue the development of this technically challenging migration. You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better).
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Prototyping solutions using the latest data and Big Data technologies
- Aiding other development teams to deliver data onto Ocado Technology’s new cloud-based data platform using the latest data integration technologies
- Collaborating with our Data Science team over innovative paradigm changing models
- Developing low latency data capture and analysis solution to enable near real-time business insight
- Facilitating change within Ocado so that Data is democratic, agile and the core of every decision
We’d like to hear from you if you have:
- Demonstrable experience of Big Data technologies including any of Google Cloud Platform, Google Dataflows, Google BigQuery, Hadoop ecosystem (HBase, Pig, Sqoop etc) Spark at the enterprise level
- Commercial development experience using programming languages such as Java, Python or Scala
- An understanding and some experience of Agile software development.
- Knowledge of how to architect and use Enterprise Bus/Data Integration solutions.
- Experience of NoSQL databases like Cassandra and MongoDB
- Pragmatic, but with a keen eye for detail
We’d love it if you have:
- Experience of trying, failing, learning and succeeding
- Strong knowledge and experience of data-warehousing strategies and how they transfer to large data problems
- Demonstrable experience in creating reporting layer data objects for analytical reporting tools such as Tableau, Qlikview, SAS, Power BI
- Exposure to environments where businesses have become data driven
Super bonus points for:
- Experience of Big Data technologies applied in an online retail environment for developing data warehousing solutions.
- Demonstrable commercial understanding and how that relates to opportunities in data and analytics
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77457626