Senior Accounting Manager
About the RoleOur mission is to operate a world class Global Finance and Accounting team utilizing global processes and controls. Reporting to the Head of Accounting and Reporting for Europe, this influential role will expose you to many different elements of Sony’s business. You will be responsible for overseeing the General Accounting and Financial Reporting for the Selling, and General Administration function of Sony Europe. This includes Balance Sheet, Fixed Asset and Intercompany stream. In this role you will be responsible to ensure timely and accurate monthly closing and that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies and US GAAP for this cost-base. The role is supported by an on-site team with transactional activities being provided by a BPO. An important element of the role is coordinating different stakeholders within business units and in-country organisations across Europe as well as the European management.
- Co-ordinate monthly closing with business input, in line with the central timetable
- Co-ordinate the calculation, review and approval of accruals and provisions, in line with the Sony Core Process Model to include:
• Propose, consolidate, review fixed SGA accruals;
• Consolidate, review variable SGA accruals;
• Propose standard local accruals / provisions e.g. bad debt.
• Advertising and Promotions, Stock Compensation,
- Manage queries related to financial accounting and standard reporting;
- Function– C & R stream and internal customers in defining and delivering financial reporting requirements.
- Ensure month end close processes are planned to support WD2 financial reporting and facilitate clear variance reporting against forecast and budget, and prior periods.
-Maintain clear channel of communications with business groups and marketing organisations to facilitate WD2 close and one-time submission of Sony Europe reporting.
• Controllership (Actual)
- Review and approval of journal (accruals & provisions) postings
- Review and central approval of exceptional accruals / provisions e.g. Bad Debt
• Financial / Technical Compliance
- Liaise with the Statutory and Compliance team to ensure all finance and commercial activities in the business comply with the effective application of agreed Sony Corporate Accounting Policy and SOX controls.
• Procedures and Governance Systems
- Support document retention in line with Sony policy and legal requirements
- Support Compliance Team in ensuring reporting to Europe & Tokyo senior management is carried out in timely manner, addressing key areas such as commercial investment, bad debt, fixed assets, pension etc. in order to ensure technical accounting compliance on operational basis within SEU.
• Tax/ Treasury
- Support Global Tax Office requests with the provision of general ledger information
- Support Sony Global Treasury Services requests with the provision of general ledger information
• Support the business process team to
- Drive standardised processes and procedures across countries and business groups to deliver efficiency and effectiveness in high volume transactional based accounting
- build, maintain and leverage positive working relationships;
- Identify and implement process improvements to continually balance efficiency and improve service to the front line business;
- Take full consideration of compliance of accounting standards and Corporate Accounting Policy.
- Optimise tools and systems available to provide automated financial and operational information to deliver accurate financial information, efficient proactive finance support and professional technical accounting skills
- Mitigate advice, communicate and resolve any issues which might affect Finance Accounting performance levels or reporting.
- A knowledgeable and experienced qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, or international equivalent)
- You will have strong technical accounting skills
- You are experienced working with in IFRS and UK/ US GAAP
- You bring significant proven experience at manager level in a large, complex organization
- You are able to drive & sustain change in a lean accounting environment on a pan-European basis
- You possess excellent stakeholder management skills
Why Sony Europe?If you want to do something extraordinary in your career, this is the place to be. We don’t just create technology, services and content. We enliven senses, capture moments and create new experiences daily. We have been at the forefront of consumer tech for decades, and we stay ahead by inspiring and fulfilling curiosity. This is the world you could be part of.