The Economist Group, Editor - Thought Leadership
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs.
We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist Group’s thought leadership (TL) division produces high quality editorial content for a wide range of global corporate clients, foundations and governments.
The team sells content programs addressing business and geopolitical trends to senior marketing and communications executives in a diverse range of industries and sectors.
Currently we are seeking two editors in our Thought Leadership business to ensure The Economist Group’s standards of editorial quality, creativity and independence and by maintaining strong client services practices.
We envisage that one editor will focus on healthcare projects and the other one will focus on finance projects. Relevant sector expertise is required.
In the role you would be expected to:
- Develop and deliver custom content projects, from proposing core themes through research, outputs and marketing, on time and on budget
- Ensure work you deliver meets the quality standards, branding rules and editorial guidelines set by the Economist Intelligence Unit
- Manage client relationships from an editorial perspective, delivering high quality content and excellent client service
- Support sales on business development through creating compelling new products, research programmes and proposals, accompanying salespeople to meetings and working with salespeople to prioritize potential clients and develop pitches for them
- Actively support sales on business development through the generation of compelling new products, research programmes and proposals
- Act as project manager, including managing all relationships among the sponsor, freelance writers, research teams across The Economist Group and others as needed
- Edit copy including research surveys, papers, articles, video scripts and marketing collateral
- Lead data analysis and ensure rich insights are developed from the primary research done for projects
- Present or facilitate webcasts and podcasts based on our research
To succeed in the role you must have:
- Education to degree level, social sciences preferred
- Experience in financial services (for the finance editor role) or healthcare (for the healthcare editor role), through having worked in, consulted for, or researched and reported on them
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation and stakeholder-management skills
- Strong research skills
- Project management skills
- Client-facing experience with senior corporate executives and/or policymakers
- Experience in planning and monitoring budgets
- Familiarity with data analysis methodologies and tools
- Proficiency in MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Presentation and moderation/chairing skills helpful
- Interest in building a public profile as a finance or healthcare expert through presence in social media and working with the marketing/PR team
- Experience using social media tool
To succeed in the role you will be able to demonstrate:
- A strong desire to provide excellent client service, enjoyment from working with clients
- A good understanding of international business and management issues in addition to specialist knowledge of the healthcare and/or finance sectors
- Thorough awareness of the tenets of editorial independence and editorial expertise across formats (text, graphic, video)
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt
- Ease in working with different stakeholders
- Drive to set and reach ambitious goals and a good team player
- Creativity and high quality of editorial output
- An interest in learning about any topic from business and industry related issues to new technologies
- Interest in increasing The Economist Group’s Thought Leadership business in the healthcare and/or finance sector and comfort in engaging directly with sales teams and clients to do so
Apply by completing the application form below.