This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual looking to progress their career, to join our highly successful and expanding Education Team. The role will be based in the London office however will require occasional travel to any of our other locations or off site as client demands require.
Candidates will have experience of one or all of corporate/commercial law, education law and charity law. The successful candidate will work for our institutional education clients, focussing on our work for state funded schools.
This will include work on all forms of academy set up and development (including free schools); maintained school change of category; governance advice to academy trust clients; charity and corporate/commercial law advice to academy trust clients on day to day issues such the establishment of subsidiary companies for trading and procurement-related issues; amendments to Articles of Association and Funding Agreements; significant change applications; establishment of nurseries/early years provision. Whilst the post will focus on our project-based work for state-funded schools, the candidate will also need to have a general understanding of operational matters relating to state-funded schools such as admissions, behaviour and exclusions, all other forms of pupil and parent issues, and other aspects of routine school management.
The successful candidate will have trained within a well-regarded City or regional practice. Guidance and direction is available from more senior members of the Team on more complex matters. It is encouraged that employees take ownership and responsibility for work, at increasing levels of significance in order to progress their position over time within the Team and the Firm.
- Effectively manage an individual caseload (with supervision where appropriate).
- Support senior members of the team on larger projects.
- Attend to clients of the Firm in the office or elsewhere if needed.
- Work in a collegiate and collaborative way within an immediate Team and wider Firm environment.
- Communicate promptly and effectively both internally to colleagues and externally to clients.
- Maintain your continuing professional development requirements and take an active interest in furthering your knowledge within the field of law.
- Carry out your work for both colleagues and clients to the highest possible standard, having regard to the Firm's standards, procedures and core values.
- Regularly attend, and be involved in preparation for, Team meetings.
- Attend and be involved in preparation for marketing and business development events and activities.
- Make a positive contribution to the Firm's knowhow resources by sharing your knowledge and experience and taking responsibility for producing and updating precedents and knowhow relevant to a specific designated topic area.
- Support senior members of the team with monthly billing and follow in-house procedures for Lexcel and SRA compliance.
The successful candidate must be prepared to work beyond standard office hours in order to meet deadlines where necessary.
Our environment is positive and supportive but often highly pressurised due to external deadlines and volume of work. We need someone who is pro-active and able to manage potential pressure.
We are committed to recruiting talented individuals and providing our clients with outstanding legal service and so excellent academics along with sound previous experience are a must have.
The candidate should be well-organised, technologically proficient and capable of working on their own or within a team. They will also be required where necessary to provide supervision to more junior members of the team.
Exceptional "client facing" and other interpersonal skills will be vital, together with a capacity to work autonomously. The ability to work in harmony with others and to contribute to a focused working ethos will also be important.
We operate within an environment of mutual trust and respects and so the ability to contribute to a pleasant working environment for all concerned, will be important.
The post-holder will report on a day-to-day basis to the Education Partners and overall to the Head of Education Team.
Working hours – 9.00am - 5.30pm.