Windows Systems Engineer - Azure - VMware
Windows Systems Engineer - Azure VMWare
This opening in the Systems Engineering team requires strong experience with VMware, Microsoft Windows Server (2008/12/16), Active Directory (2008/12), System Centre, Enterprise Wintel technologies and the Microsoft Azure platform. As well as providing day-to-day 3rd and 4th line support for business critical applications, you will also have a good all-round understanding of back-office infrastructure, with strong practical experience managing, monitoring and maintaining a large, globally dispersed server estate. You must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, will be equally comfortable interacting with non-technical people and to work as part of a team and quickly establish credibility with colleagues. You will need to demonstrate an attention to detail, commitment and flexibility in dealing with unforeseen operational requirements.Key Responsibilities
As a member of the Systems Engineering team, reporting to the Service Owner of Wintel & Virtualisation, the successful candidate's duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing 3rd and 4th line support of Physical and Virtual Windows Servers and associated Wintel back office infrastructure e.g. AD, DFS, DHCP, DNS, SCCM, SCOM, ADFS, FIM, WDS, WSUS.
- Providing design, management and technical engineering support within the Microsoft Azure platform (including IaaS & PasS offerings).
- In-depth diagnosis, troubleshooting, test, resolution of problems and issues with VMware, Windows Server and System Centre.
- Ongoing maintenance of standards and processes relating to Systems Engineering's services. Proactive scheduled maintenance, BCP, DR and capacity planning.
- Support the implementation of new technologies, solutions and services, in line with current industry standards and business strategy.
- Providing design and engineering input, guidance and support to the firm's Global Project Group, Architecture Team and support staff located in the firm's outsource partner in India. Undertake the role of subject matter expert for any projects which require input and have an impact in the "Wintel and Virtualisation" infrastructure
- Inclusion in an on-call rota to provide out-of-hours escalation support. Available for occasional involvement in Change related activities during planned weekend maintenance window.
To perform this role you will be an experienced Wintel Systems and VMware Engineer with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Back Office infrastructure solutions possessing a detailed understanding of both Microsoft's and VMware's virtualisation technologies. You will have/be:
- Extensive experience managing and maintaining a large server base of Windows Server 2008R2, 2012R2 and 2016, ideally using VMware ESXi 5.5 and above, HPE Servers and HPE Blades.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Azure IaaS and PaaS platform with previous experience in design, implementation and management of IaaS and PaaS services.
- Proficient in the monitoring of production systems using SCOM 2012, which includes the implementation, development and configuration of Management Packs.
- A detailed knowledge of Server technologies, such as; Security & protection, back-up, clustering, file & print, Hyper-V, IIS, WDS, WSUS, DNS, WINS, DHCP, AD Certificate Services.
- A detailed knowledge of Active Directory Services, such as, AD DS, GPOs, DNS, WINS, DHCP, AD CS, AD LDS, AD RMS, ADFS etc.
- A working knowledge of at least one scripting language, specifically the development and use of PowerShell 2 and/or 3 scripts.
- A detailed knowledge of VMware virtualisation technologies, preferably VMware ESXi 5.5 and above.
- Experienced in the automated build and configuration of server hardware and interacting with supporting infrastructure teams, i.e. storage (SAN), networking, security (Firewalls) etc. Ideally you will be familiar with the current HPE DL and BL server ranges and related hardware features and related firmware.
- Accustomed to working within the ITIL framework of Incident, Problem, Change and Release Management.
Familiarity with; FIM, Symantec Enterprise Manager, ServiceNow, Unix & Linux based systems, Microsoft SQL & Oracle databases, will be an advantage.
Mandatory Technical Skills
The following skills at Level 3/4 support are mandatory for this role:
- Windows Server 2008R2/12R2 and related technologies.
- VMware ESXi 5.5 and above
- Microsoft Azure infrastructure management
- Active Directory 2008/12 and related services.
- SCOM 2012
- SCCM 2007/12
- PowerShell 2/3
- Windows 7/10
- Microsoft Office Suite (inc, Visio).
You will also possess excellent skills and knowledge relating to all aspects of back-office infrastructure, systems and security.
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- PKI Certificate infrastructure
- Symantec Endpoint Manager Anti-Virus
- Microsoft FIM
- Knowledge of Linux\UNIX commands
- Microsoft MCSE/MCSA certification (required)
- VMware VCP certification (preferred)
- ITIL V3/V2 (preferred)
- Prince 2 (preferred)
Minimum degree level education of a B. Tech. / B.E. / MCA/ BCA or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Systems Engineering or equivalent related field.
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.Alongside world-class legal careers, Clifford Chance offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining us in business services, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Business services are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success.
Information for Recruitment Agencies Clifford Chance endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Clifford Chance operates within a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal OpportunitiesIt is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds. The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment. The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits. The Firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77221075