As one of the UK’s Top 100 law firms with offices in London, Bristol, Swindon and Bath, Thrings’ strategic growth over the past five years has provided a platform to build on the commercial focus of the firm and to offer the complete service for businesses and their owners. Thrings offers specialist advice in sectors such as Aerospace and Defence, Agriculture, Energy and Waste, Innovation and Technology, and Financial Services from partner-led teams whose expertise matches that found in much larger City firms.
The Team undertakes a broad range of commercial litigation work including commercial contract disputes, financial services disputes (principally defending mis-selling claims), IT & IP disputes (including trademark, domain names, copyright, data protection & privacy) and professional negligence.
Purpose of the role:
This is an initial 12 month fixed term contract to cover maternity leave within the existing team. This is a part-time role - working 3 days a week.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Partner, the Senior Associate and other lawyers within the team, as well as with solicitors in other teams. The role is Bristol-based, but the successful applicant should be willing to travel between all of the firm’s offices, to clients’ premises and to those of other parties when required.
Brief snapshot of the role:
• Provide expert advice to clients in accordance with technical area of specialism; liaising with clients, colleagues/Client Partner and any relevant professionals in accordance with the Thrings expected behaviours and values.
• Supervise more junior members of the team, including paralegal and trainee.
• Provide a proactive and constructive input into the team’s strategy.
• Understand and achieve targets such as chargeable hours and time recording, ensuring accurate records and narratives are maintained for both chargeable and non-chargeable time.
• Complete billing and fee estimate tasks on time. Work proactively with the firm’s credit control team in relation to client payments, having a good understanding of write-off and recovery rate requirements.
• Take responsibility for the growth of others, sharing knowledge and accepting and giving feedback constructively.
The ideal candidate:
Knowledge & experience in the following:
• advising in relation to litigation claims generally;
• sound working knowledge of the law of contract and tort;
• knowledge of IP law preferable;
• a good level of knowledge and understanding of court process and procedures under the CPR;
• drafting of letters of claim and response under Pre Action Protocols;
• drafting/preparing statements of case/orders including consent orders/Tomlin orders;
• instructing and managing Counsel;
• making interim applications;
• taking and preparing witness statements;
• providing litigation support to clients;
• negotiation & conclusions of settlements. A good level of knowledge and understanding of general commercial litigation and the CPR is required for this role.
Benefits on offer at Thrings:
There are many benefits to working at Thrings: Our culture and best practice in all our working relationships provide the key elements that contribute to Thrings being a great place to work. In addition, you will receive a competitive salary, core benefits including life assurance, private medical cover and health cash plans, 25 days holiday and a flexible benefits package.