Senior Buyer- General Merchandise
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Senior Buyer to join our talented General Merchandise team based in our Travel Head Office in London. The principal objective of this role is to deliver maximum sales and profitability through determining the offers we make to our customers and successfully managing both the trading activities and profit and loss through working alongside numerous business functions. As a member of the senior leadership team you will be accountable for the development and delivery of the category strategy. This is a perfect opportunity for somebody looking to make a difference and drive the success of a growing category.
* Grow and develop new areas of business identified as strategic growth opportunities
* Manage supplier relationships and negotiation of reductions in costs of goods sold, first to market advantages and supplier incomes.
* Overall effective supply chain and cost management
* Overall category budget accountability
* Close management of critical paths to deliver the end result alongside other functions
* Keep abreast of market trends, customer requirements and competitor activity thus identify market opportunities
* Conduct range reviews and undertake continuous improvement of the product offer through effective range analysis
* Deputise for holiday cover in the absence of the Trading Controller or Business Unit Director
* Create open and effective relationships with stores through regular telephone communication and visits
* Lead and develop a high performing team to meet and exceed department objectives
The Requirements for the Role
* Previous buying experience within an FMCG category is essential
* Experience of being accountable for sales, margin and supplier income of an FMCG category is an essential requirement for this position
* Proven experience of successfully delivering a turnaround or implementation project within a Retail environment is essential
* Experience of Far East sourcing would prove advantageous on application
* Proven ability of developing and delivering results within the category
* Strong commercial skills and ability to interpret the market quickly
* Engaging and influential communication skills both internally and externally
* Exceptional analytical skills and ability to utilise data to back business decisions
* Excellent negotiation skills
* Understanding of Profit and Loss management
* Degree educated or equivalent, or substantial work experience, with a high level of numeracy
What's in it for you?
We're a company that values our people; from day one you will receive ongoing support and have access to our various training and development programmes as well as exciting career development opportunities for your future. We offer a wide range of benefits to say thank you for all your hard work including; a competitive salary, a profit related bonus, car allowance, 25 days holiday plus your birthday off, pension scheme, as well as other perks such as our popular holiday trading scheme. If successful, candidates will be required to provide a valid passport and provide 5 years of continuous educational, professional or employment references. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it is with regret that we are unable to respond to all applications and therefore will only contact short listed candidates.
Our success is down to our fantastic, diverse team. We welcome applications from everyone - whoever you are.