Fermentation Group Mananger
Role: Fermentation Group Manager
Location: North East
Salary: c. £65,000 to £75,000 per annum
Package: Pension, Company Sick Pay, Childcare Vouchers, Life Assurance and
Our client is a technology innovation partner which helps support the future development of the UK process manufacturing industry. They help large and small companies to develop and commercialise the next generation of manufactured products, processes and services.
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the role is to build, direct and manage a high quality Fermentation Group. To provide leadership and line management to the team as an integral functional department within the platform. The position also serves to co-ordinate and support the translation of laboratory fermentation processes to the pilot demonstration plants.
- To build, direct and manage a high quality Fermentation Group to deliver SOTA process
understanding in all aspects of fermentation bioprocess development (incl. elements of upstream feedstock fractionation, fermentation, product isolation and bio product formulation) at the full range of scales offered (1ml – 10m3).
- To provide effective leadership, line management and mentoring to the Fermentation Group comprising the Fermentation Team, Operations Team and the Bioprocess Chemistry Team.
- Approximate team size is 35 people ranging from Process Technicians to PhD Scientists with budget accountability of circa £3 million.
- To provide high quality management of the strategic and budgetary input into the senior
management team in support of the business unit.
- To form strong interdisciplinary links across teams to ensure seamless incorporation of technology knowledge and tools at the appropriate point in project development.
- To undertake horizon scanning to maintain current up to date knowledge of technology
developments and make recommendations to expand and improve technical capability
- Provide a source of knowledge on various scales of fermentation operation with a focus on
experimental design, minimising process risk and leading troubleshooting activities on fermentation issues as required.
- To work alongside the business development team to identify and develop new business
opportunities and secure follow - on business from existing clients; provide high quality techno-commercial knowledge and guidance and education to clients/partners to mitigate company and client risk.
- To develop and promote a strong customer focus culture within the Fermentation Group.
- To work collaboratively with the Business Development Team to ensure it has access to necessary skills and expertise from the Fermentation Group to support project propositions to help secure new business and facilitate project due diligence and de-risking.
- To provide thought leader ship to customers and help shape their business strategy.
- To manage and maintain on - going strategic relationships with clients to drive additional value for both the client and the company.
- To build relationships with equipment manufacturers and providers to assess new and emerging Pre - treatment/separation/purification and broth handling technologies
- To ensure the Fermentation Group works collaboratively with the development teams to seamlessly pipeline and coordinate processes from concept to plant.
- To work closely with customers to gain insight to market trends and ensure that the companies value offering aligns with customers evolving strategic direction.
- Educated to Degree level in a Chemical/Biochemical engineering Microbiology subject
- Significant experience in building, leading, inspiring and motivating high performance
teams within the bio-processing, Food and beverage or allied industries
- Direct experience of bioprocess development or scale-up in an applied research
- Collaborative style whilst motivating others to achieve optimal performance
- Facilitate the resolution of complex tasks
- Can negotiate skilfully in tough situations
- Acts as final technical authority with the company relating to their technical discipline(s) and/ or the technology area. Has external recognition in their field and is regularly invited to leadership forums and strategic initiatives in relation to their area.
- Ability to lead the development of new processes and tools (cross company and functional) that align to strategy and business need.
- Experience in a business development or entrepreneurial environment
- Extensive network of process technology and expertise providers
Please apply with a copy of your CV and current remuneration details stating reference DC2487
Alternatively call us on 01423 704154 for a discussion in confidence.
Please note all suitable candidates will be notified within 21 days