Senior PHP Developer - Magento
London or Liverpool : Are you an experienced PHP developer and looking for a new job opportunity with responsibility to work with or manage multi-developer teams on builds to enterprise level?
Reading Room comprises two award-winning digital agencies – Reading Room and Rippleffect. We work as architects of digital change, helping our clients create new and effective systems suitable for the emerging challenges of modern business.
Reading Room is currently recruiting experienced Magento PHP Developers at a senior level. Join our teams in London or Liverpool and you will have plenty of opportunity to work across some of our public sector, b2b and brand accounts.
We help our clients develop business strategy; we build communication platforms; create content, and provide design and build services for clients across the UK. Fundamental to everything we do is a comprehensive understanding of the clients we work with. This client-centric approach has become central to the way we work.
In addition to PHP experience and a passion for technology we are also looking for a keen interest in adopting new development tools, methodologies, languages and frameworks.
Our senior developers communicate regularly and directly with clients throughout the delivery process.Developers often operate as the main technical contact within the delivery team so good communication and interpersonal skills are required to provide this support and lead technical discussions with clients.
Your expertise will be applied throughout the project process with responsibility as follows:
Senior developers’ responsibilities will include:
- Leading development teams on a range of small to enterprise level builds
- Providing clear technical advice to designers, front-end developers, strategists, project managers etc.
- Working closely with clients to capture functional and non-functional requirements
- Producing clear and concise requirements specifications
- Proactively identifying, communicating and addressing technical risks throughout the delivery process
- Constructing granular build plans and providing accurate estimations for build tasks
- Running client workshops
- Ensuring builds are robust, thoroughly tested, well documented and peer reviewed
- Identifying improvements to the development and delivery processes
- Identifying appropriate introduction of new technologies
- Technical service design
Mid-level developers will need to have experience of some of the above, and be looking to expand their skill-set to include these types of responsibilities.
Personal SpecificationWhat would make someone successful in this role;
As a Senior Magento Developer, you will be involved in and responsible for managing complex PHP builds. We are looking for experience in the following areas:
- Demonstrable experience of using Magento 1 and 2
- Previous delivery of a range of small to large scale websites using PHP Frameworks
- Configuration of continuous integration systems
- Commercial awareness
- Database design and management using MySQL based systems
- Application of OOP design principles
- Experience with Content Management Systems and Frameworks, such as Drupal, Magento 1 & 2, is preferable
- The integration of third party systems, such as CRMs, payment gateways, document management tools, web services and authentication systems
- An understanding of web security concerns; experience of testing and resolving security issues
- The ability to both take direction from and lead other developers
- Capture functional and non-functional requirements
Additional desirable qualities;
- Designing solutions for high traffic demands; experience of performance testing, analysing results and applying performance improvements
- Show initiative, be able to share ideas and push the development team forward
- Involvement with New Business & Account management teams
- The use of automated testing tools or behavioural driven development
- Management of multi-branch source control repositories
- The application of multi-tiered software architecture methodologies
- An understanding of hosting infrastructure; experience working with load balanced, and cloud multi-server environments
- Experience with LAMP server configuration
- Content Delivery Networks
- Search technologies such as Solr search
- Delivery of resilient solutions including web and database failover features
We employ front-end developers who specialise in the delivery of user interfaces, you will be working closely with a multi-disciplinary team, and should have a basic understanding of the following:
- Semantic HTML
- Progressive enhancement
- Front-end task runners
Reading Room is a business unit within Idox Plc. We help our clients develop business strategy; we build communication platforms; create content, and provide design and build services for clients in the UK and across the globe. Fundamental to everything we do is a comprehensive understanding of the clients we work with. This client-centric approach has become central to the way we work.Idox is the leading applications provider to UK local government for core functions relating to land, people and property, such as its market leading planning systems and election management software. Over 90% of UK local authorities are now customers. Idox provides public sector organisations with tools to manage information and knowledge, documents, content, business processes and workflow as well as connecting directly with the citizen via the web, and providing elections management solutions. It also supplies in the UK and internationally, decision support content such as grants and planning policy information and corporates compliance services. Idox delivers engineering document control, project collaboration and facility management applications to many leading companies in industries such as oil & gas, architecture and construction, mining, utilities, pharmaceuticals and transportation in North America and around the world.The Group employs over 900 staff located in the UK, the USA, Canada, Europe, India and Australia.
Our approach to work
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to avoid the conveyor-belt approach that is incapable of delivering the complexities of digital projects. We know that digital problem solving requires many different skills and mind-sets.
All our work is based on flexible, agile approaches. This allows us to build, release and test at rapid speeds, updating strategy and research with real-world learning ensures constant improvement to platforms as we build them.
As independent thinkers, we’re free to recommend the right solutions to clients whatever they may be. We are a technology agnostic agency with experience of working with a variety of open source and proprietary technologies including Drupal, Magento, Umbraco, WordPress, Kentico and Sitecore. We have extensive experience of integration with third party systems such as Dynamics, Salesforce, SAP, and Sugar CRM.The BenefitsThis post commands a competitive salary depending upon experience, along with an excellent benefits package. How to applyApplicants should submit a CV, and a short cover letter (maximum 500 words - including salary expectation, and current remuneration) explaining why they feel they would be suited to this role.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77206505