Good Housekeeping, Prima & Red, Chief Sub-Editor
The Lifestyle publishing division at Hearst UK is home to some of the world’s most iconic and successful magazine brands including Good Housekeeping, Country Living, ELLE Decoration, Prima, Red and House Beautiful.
We pride ourselves on giving our readers outstanding quality journalism, originality and unforgettable brand experiences all delivered with passion, creativity and expertise.
Working across Good Housekeeping, Red and Prima, the Chief Sub-Editor leads a team of Sub-Editors, editing copy to a high standard and making sure all articles are presented in a style and tone fitting with the relevant brand.
- To ensure copy goes through the production system as efficiently as possible to meet deadlines and budgets
- To be responsible for the flat plan and update it regularly
- Complete layouts to press-ready standard
- Be aware of the different tones/styles of each magazine within the Lifestyle Group and ensure this is maintained
- Assist the Workflow Director in taking responsibility for meeting deadlines
- Update with the flat plan and communicate changes to the team
- Share over-reading and final preparation of pages and signing off finals and sending to press
- Fact-check copy according to agreed guidelines
- Prepare copy for layout, writing captions, headlines and introductions as appropriate, copy fit on layouts, take in corrections and proofread pages
- Build up and maintain a good relationship with the Art department to discuss layouts, keeping a constant vigilance regarding design and type specifications
- Build up and maintain a good relationship with editorial departments and liaise with them in all matters concerning copy
- Liaise closely with the Picture Team, ensuring accuracy of caption information, names of photographers and picture agencies
- Attend production meetings
- Be responsible for adding/checking folios, page furniture and bylines
- Liaise with legal department to ensure all pages are safe legally
- To work with industry-standard toolsets to complete your work, as well as work within the prescribed processes of the structured workflow systems used to create editorial content
- Deputise for the Workflow Director. This includes:
- distributing work for the Subs and Art Hub desks, as appropriate
- monitoring flow of copy, pictures and images, ensuring quality of output and ensuring production deadlines are met
- You will be required to undertake commercial editorial work as and when requested by the Company
- To contribute in whatever way to the digital offering
- To read and monitor competitive magazines and other activities within the media to keep abreast of new ideas and trends, and to be aware of the competitive set and developments within your area.
- Demonstrable sub-editing experience
- Prior experience working on a national magazine/newspaper
- Knowledge of the print production process, including digital publishing systems
- Good communication skills and diplomacy
- Good writing ability
- Accurate and organised
- Experience using Adobe and InDesign
- Calm under pressure and assertive
- Flexible attitude to work
- Good legal knowledge.
Click 'Apply' now.