Paralegal - Technicals
The role is to work as a paralegal within the Property Technical team in Bristol.
The role will include:
• Developing your knowledge of all aspects of property-related insurance claims, including policy coverage disputes, product liability, fraud, subrogated recovery claims and liability matters.
• Developing your knowledge of litigation tactics and a sound working knowledge of the CPR.
• Claims handling a variety of litigated and pre-litigated files.
• Task-based discrete activities assisting on claims for other fee earners in the team, including carrying out preliminary investigations and evidence gathering, ensuring technical and expert evidence obtained by insurers and their agents is sufficient to prove causation; obtaining witness statements; and contacting relevant parties to obtain contractual and other relevant documentation.
• Ensuring that the case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required by the case.
• Assuming responsibility for client protocol compliance both on own files and where working on task-based assignments.
• Handling confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols
• Meeting and exceeding internal targets for time recording and billing.
The candidate should:
• Preferably have a degree in Law (LLB or equivalent) or previous relevant legal experience.
• Knowledge of the litigation process is desirable – either through experience, the LPC or ILEX.
• Be interested in and have a good working knowledge of general contract and tortious principles.
• Be interested in and willing to learn insurance-based property damage law.
• Be interested in and willing to learn the technical aspects of construction and property investigation as required for the role.
• Be change-orientated, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Be IT-literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system advantageous (but not essential).
• Have a willingness to follow a process-driven system, working within set parameters.
• Be team-orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Have an ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to claims settlement.
The CSG Property team in Bristol provides advice and claims management to the insurance industry.
Our specialist Property Technical team is led in Bristol by 1 partner and 2 associates. We provide expert and practical advice over a range of areas, including:
• Public Liability / Property Damage claims
• Policy coverage
• Property recovery
• Fraud recovery
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.