Paralegal - Enforcement
The role is to work as a Paralegal within the Enforcement, Disputes and Recoveries Litigation Team. The successful candidate will deal with a varied caseload of litigated and pre-litigated matters from both a Claimant and Defendant perspective and may be expected to work in any of the teams within CSG Property .
The candidate will be asked to undertake:
• Enforcement of Judgments and Court Orders
• Fraud recoveries
• Misrepresentation / Mistaken payments
• Recovery of overpayments / duplicate payments
• Policyholder recoveries
• Breach of contract matters
• Debt recoveries
• Insolvency / bankruptcy
The candidate will:
• Hold demonstrable debt recovery experience and / or relevant Civil Litigation experience.
• Experience in Insolvency would be advantageous but is not compulsory.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft LLP protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols
• Handle their own case load, including negotiating quantum and settlement of damages with third parties
• Obtain witness statements; contact relevant parties to obtain salient documents; draft letters of claim, issue proceedings, and instruct Counsel/experts to progress a file.
• Draft interim applications and attend Court if necessary.
• Have a minimum of a degree in Law (LLB or equivalent) or CILEx qualification;
• Have the ability to work to deadlines, the role is very fast paced and requires attention to detail.
• Have excellent communication skills and the ability for building rapport with people of all fields and differing levels.
• Be interested in and have a basic understanding of Contract Law, Enforcement and Civil Litigation;
• Be interested in and willing to learn the technical aspects of Civil Litigation and the Civil Procedure Rules as required for the role.
• Be change oriented, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Be IT literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system would be an advantage but not essential.
• Willingness to follow a process driven system, working within set parameters.
• Be team orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Have an ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to claims settlement.
The CSG Property team in Birmingham provides solutions to the Insurance property recovery sectors. Our specialist property and recovery team of 5 Partners, 5 Associates and 18 Solicitors and 19 paralegals provides expert and practical advice over a range of areas:
Public Liability / Property Damage claims
• Professional indemnity claims - defending Architects, Surveyors, Engineers etc
• Property subsidence
• Property recovery
• Fraud recovery
• Credit hire recovery
• Motor recovery
The CSG Property team is expanding:
• General property recoveries (fire, escape of water, impact of vehicles into property etc)
• Subsidence mitigation (involving bringing legal proceedings where necessary to mitigate damage to property caused by third party trees, failed foundations, failed underpinning, escape of water etc)
• Motor recoveries (involving recoveries against negligent third parties for causing damage to motor vehicles) and
• Costs involving negotiating legal costs
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.