Solicitor (2-6PQE) Clinical Risk
We would like to recruit an additional lawyer at around the level of 2-6 years PQE to join our team of 26 (2 partners, 6 associates, 16 lawyers & 4 paralegals) in Bristol.
• Handle a challenging caseload of high value defendant clinical negligence work on behalf of the NHSLA and the MDU. This will include drafting pleadings, witness statements and letters of response, liaison with the NHSLA, Trusts and other health bodies, conducting face to face negotiations and mediation of claims as well as preparing counter schedules of damages in high value claims.
• Act as first and primary contact for clients on a day to day basis providing them with commercially focused legal advice.
• Handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols and with an appropriate level of supervision. Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
• Adhering closely to client protocol and process.
• Make an appropriate contribution to non fee-earning activity e.g. knowledge sharing, training, client seminars, and writing of articles.
• Comply with the required standards for internal procedures e.g. financial management of files, billing regimes, etc as well as the specific requirements of individual clients.
• Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. attending marketing events and client training.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Build an awareness of the Firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
• Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
• 2-6 years PQE Solicitor with a well-recognised firm, with considerable experience of handling complex clinical negligence claims, including those involving birth and other catastrophic injuries.
• Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
• Confident communicator with the ability to negotiate and influence at all levels.
• Commercially minded and results driven, with the ability to see legal issues within the client’s broader operating environment.
• Able to handle a complex and constantly changing workload and to work under pressure.
• Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Detail conscious with a concern for quality.
Clinical Risk is a core part of our business and we are the leading law firm in this field in the UK. Our teams are based in Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Winchester allowing us to offer truly national coverage to both public and private healthcare clients. The Bristol team serves both local NHS clients and national healthcare providers in the private sector covering all aspects of healthcare related advice and representation. Acting for the NHSLA, the MDU and private insurers, our highly rated clinical negligence team has a proven track record in defending high value obstetrics, paediatrics and neurosurgical claims.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the Legal Profession 2016, the firm received 59 rankings with a record 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 116 lawyer listings.
In The Legal 500 2015, the leading guide to law firms in the UK, the firm received a record 111 practice area rankings, including more than 60 in the tier 1 and 2 brackets. The firm is also recognised for its international capabilities in Chambers Asia Pacific, as well as Chambers and Legal 500 Europe and Latin America, with more than 50 additional international leading lawyers listed.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.