Network Engineers x2
Network Engineers x2
£14.73 - £16.73
Our client is actively recruiting for Network Engineers for an ASAP start to be based in Cambridge (CB2) on a 3 month contract with possible extension.
To implement and maintain the core network systems for all the departments (approximately 30). This includes the provision of a wide data and telephone network, including wireless network provision, and security implementation.
This is a specialist IT position and it requires specific skills to support enterprise level infrastructure. It has a high level of responsibility and it requires regular work to be performed out of hours. You will be working in at team who are responsible for maintaining two server rooms, which host all of the centrally maintained infrastructure equipment.
Implement and maintain the core data network infrastructure
- Maintenance and improvement of a large IP network of over 200 devices, comprised mainly of Cisco switches and routers.
- Respond to requests for minor network alterations, such as wall-port activations and VLAN changes to meet the needs of the end-users.
- Provide on-site support as required.
Implement and maintain methods of external access to the data network
- To manage several sites, and communication between them is paramount.
- Several firewalls are installed across multiple sites, each of which must be configured to deny inappropriate traffic access to the network while still allowing people to collaborate effectively from other parts of the client or further afield.
- Maintain VPN access to certain parts of the network.
- Provide individual data communication solutions specifically designed for research projects.
- Processing of customer requests for new websites and changes to existing websites on our application firewall.
Manage, maintain and service the Server room Infrastructure
- The team are responsible for maintaining two server rooms, which host all of the centrally maintained Infrastructure equipment. The combined value of the equipment hosted is circa £750,000, excluding the value of the data that is hosted.
- In liaison with other key departments to provide a co-hosting environment to provide other groups remote server room hosting.
- Create and contribute to documentation relating to network infrastructure, adhering to change management procedures.
Advise and liaise with Service Desk Staff.
- Provide third line support and advice on difficult IT technical problems or advanced IT services.
- Provide the IT Service Desk with IT resources and training as required.
- Where required, perform presentations and attend helpdesk meetings.
Advise on IT matters
- Advise upon IT infrastructure and projects with Clinical School research and educational staff.
Be available to respond to major IT infrastructure problems outside of normal working hours.
- Included as part of an on call rota that provides monitoring and response to infrastructure problems ? servers and network.
- On call for a seven day week once every four weeks, dependent on staff numbers
- Hours covered are evenings, nights and weekends. Includes holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Bank Holidays.
- During on call cover the role holder is expected to have access to email at all times.
Be available for out-of-hours infrastructure changes and maintenance.
- IT infrastructure requires regular maintenance and is taken offline outside working hours. This position requires that staff are available for this work on request at evenings and weekends.
Education & qualifications
- The role holder is expected to hold a Degree (Hons) in an appropriate subject, or possess equivalent knowledge, skills and understanding gained through experience and professional qualification.
Specialist knowledge & skills
- The role requires knowledge in the following specialist IT areas:
- Wide network environments using Cisco IOS up to CCNA level (switching, routing, QoS), Firewalls and VPN technologies, Cisco Wireless Infrastructure, or similar
- Windows Enterprise Server and Domain Environments, Active Directory, DHCP, knowledge of O\S scripting (Powershell, Java), SNMP, exposure to virtual server technologies. HP networking experience (Procurve), experience with FortiNet technologies (FortiGate, FortiWeb, FortiAnalyser).
Interpersonal & communication skills:
- The ability to explain detailed technical matters in a clear and precise manner with other IT staff within the department as well as those from external contractors and IT Staff.
- Must be able to advise non-IT teaching and research staff on IT issues, solutions and limitations in a clear and concise manner.
- Should be capable of being able to make training presentations to small groups of technical and non-technical staff.
- The role holder would also be expected to attend technical meetings where required.
- The role holder is expected to have significant experience in working within a large scale and commercially orientated IT environment and some experience in an Enterprise grade Network and Systems infrastructure.
- The role holder would be expected to have considerable experience of working in both an autonomous and group environments. Appropriate network environment experience is a pre-requisite for the post-holder.
- Required to contribute to infrastructure projects and other internal projects: the post holder must have demonstrable experience of involvement in project work, technical design, liaising with suppliers and contractors, and drawing in additional support.
- Required to write technical and non-technical reports suitable for the Head of Department.
- Required to work outside normal working hours as required.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959515902