Principal Java Developer
Are you passionate about making the world a better place and making sure that your work has a positive impact on things that matter? A world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk & Business sectors are looking for outstanding Java Engineers to support their ambitious growth plans.
Your duties will enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make ground-breaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress.
Principal Java Developer
This is a senior role focusing on hands-on development and contributing code in Java. You will be joining a new and fast-growing agile team in our offices in London to help design and build a high volume, high availability and high performance website.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in changing the way that web products are delivered within the company, devising and implementing a modern approach to software engineering that enables continuous delivery and releasing features on-demand. You will be part of a cross-functional product development group using agile management and engineering practices.
- Work as part of a highly collaborative, cross-functional, agile product development team to develop a new responsive web application from the ground up
- Building a nimble, cloud-based JVM distributed architecture
- Play a leading role in architectural decision-making. Help to build consensus in your team around architectural choices
- Integrate with wider enterprise systems using service oriented architecture
- Encourage best practices and apply software engineering principles at each stage of the development lifecycle
- Write well tested, documented and peer-reviewed code
- Develop automated tests
- Work with Product Managers and QA to ensure software is high quality and meets user requirements
- Build a culture of responsibility for software after shipping and throughout its lifecycle
- Support and mentor more junior team members
- Help to grow the London teams by assisting with the recruitment of other developers and team members
Skills / Experience
- Core Java development experience
- MVC framework experience, e.g. Spring, Play!, Dropwizard or similar
- Web service development using frameworks, and APIs, such as Dropwizard, Scalatra, Hystrix, Jersey, JAX-RS, or similar
- Build Automation experience using common Java Build tools, eg: Maven, Gradle, Ant SBT
- Use of a Source Control System, e.g.: Git, svn, cvs, perforce
- Experienced in developing RESTful web services.
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, automated testing and deployment, Scrum, Kanban
- AWS Development/Deployment Experience
- Experience with common open source (web) applications like Apache, Nginx, Tomcat / Jetty, HAProxy, Redis, Memcache
- XML technologies and familiarity with XSL transforms
- Linux experience
- Instrumentation of web applications for fine-grained monitoring using New Relic or similar
- Scripting skills using at least one general purpose language: Python, BASH, Ruby
- Experience of large-scale software engineering involving co-ordination across multiple teams and systems
- Positive attitude to cross-functional team and extending skills across the stack (back-end / front-end / DevOps)
- A positive, constructive approach with an emphasis on collaboration and good execution
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959498750