Lead BI Developer
Lead BI Developer
Working with other IS functions, the purpose of this role is to build, maintain, audit and improve systems in line with their Software Development Standards.
- Lead or work within project teams implementing solutions to the agreed SDLC quality standards within defined timescales and budget.
- To provide support and technical guidance to other developers and other IS functions.
- Support and build IS solutions that directly contribute to the objectives and strategy and impact users throughout the business, using multiple technologies.
- Promotes and ensures use of appropriate techniques, methodologies and tools.
- Work within a mixed IS team of permanent and contract staff, supporting multiple systems with a user base of 450+
- Interact with business users.
- Assists in maintaining a skills framework and contributes to reducing the technical skills gap.
- Contributes to the development policies, standards and guidelines.
- Promotes development standards across the development team, including code reviews and unit testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required:
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to work collaboratively with BAs, product managers, business customers and SMEs
- Provide leadership for team members including (but not limited to) Supporting team members, Transferring knowledge and best practice, Setting and measuring objectives against business goals
- Versed in secure software development standards and practices (ISO27001, OWASP etc?)
- Demonstrable experience in enterprise databases SQL Server/ Oracle / Aurora
- Cloud Platform experience (ideally AWS).
- Solid understanding of the full development life-cycle including knowledge of Agile development practices (e.g. Continuous integration, TDD).
- Demonstrate experience in OO design principals applied to problem determination and resolution.
- Able to create, interpret and review of technical specifications.
- Drive and influence adoption of standards and working practices.
- Experience of unit testing frameworks and mocking frameworks.
- Mentoring and directing others in the development team, leading and supporting developers in larger projects.
- Introduce and drive new technologies forward working closely with the architecture function to improve the technology roadmap.
- Maintain control over source control and the build process (branching).
- Working independently or as part of a team, responsible for design, development, implementation, maintenance and support of business systems.
- This role will include estimating, analysis review, developing test scripts and procedures, writing and maintaining source code, technical specifications, building secure systems and release code with relevant documentation.
- The provision of secure application development, maintenance and support service (includes investigation and resolution of issues).
- Designs and builds secure integration components and secure interfaces. Contributes to decisions about tools, methods and approaches.
- Sets local or team-based standards for programming tools and techniques, including security guidelines, and the selection of appropriate development methods. Advises on application of standards and methods and ensures compliance.
- Takes technical responsibility for all stages and/or iterations in a software development project, providing method specific technical advice and guidance to project stakeholders. Assigns work packages, monitors performance and manages change control dynamically, to optimise productivity. Provides advice, guidance and assistance to less experienced colleagues as required.
- The specification, design and maintenance of mechanisms for storage and access to both structured and unstructured information, in support of business information needs. Provides advice and guidance to database designers and others using the data structures and associated components.
- Collaborates with colleagues from other disciplines to define technology objectives, assess solution options that both achieve strategic business goals and meet operational requirements. Develops visual user experiences, working with project teams to present propositions and strategies. Captures multi-disciplinary requirements, and translates those requirements into user experiences, prototypes and final assets
- Develops implementation plans for complex requests for change. Evaluates risks to the integrity of service environment inherent in proposed implementations (including availability, performance, security and compliance of the business services impacted).
- Maintains knowledge of specific specialisms, provides detailed advice regarding their application and executes specialised tasks. The specialism can be any area of information or communication technology, technique, method, product or application area.
- Maintains awareness of opportunities provided by new technology to address challenges or to enable new ways of working. Within own sphere of influence, works to further organisational goals, by the study and use of emerging technologies and products. Contributes to briefings and presentations about their relevance and potential value to the organisation.
- Prepares or customises and delivers learning activities to a variety of audiences.
BI Lead Developer Role Specific
- Knowledge and development experience in cloud data storage ? AWS S3, AWS Redshift, Azure Storage
- Experienced in Data Warehousing
- Ability to interrogate and manipulate large quantities of data.
- Exposure to ETL tooling SSIS, AWS Glue, Matillion
- Knowledge of BI Reporting and visualisation tools (Looker, SSRS, QuickSight, Qlik Sense)
- Understanding of Data Model and data lake principals
- Experience in AWS Serverless platform offerings (AWS Step functions, AWS Lambda)
- Infrastructure as code knowledge e.g. Cloud formation, Terraform
- Working hours may need to be flexible to support delivery of various plans and releases.
- Occasional need to travel to other sites or partner sites
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959510098