Infrastructure Support Engineer
Infrastructure Support Engineer
Are you a motivated, passionate and highly experienced DevOps Engineer looking for a challenging and rewarding role?
Our DevOps team is a small team with BIG ambitions and lots of responsibility. The DevOps team is responsible for configuration and maintenance of the infrastructure required for the PDD department. The DevOps team currently maintains more than 40 virtual machines using VMWare virtualised environment managed using vCenter. Most of the systems maintained are predominantly from the CentOs/RedHat environment with a few instances of Windows. The DevOps engineer will be required to fully configure bespoke systems on request.
The EPG development team has a number of critical systems hosted on their own private network and minimal system downtime is essential. The configuration of this network is also an essential part of the DevOps position.
The DevOps actions are implemented in an agile environment managed by Atlassian tools, namely Jira. Automation is a critical part to the DevOps team success, thus the DevOps engineer is required to automate as many processes as possible in the form of RPM/script/images/Jenkins.
Personal attributes Required
- a "point and shoot" engineer who excels at getting stuff done
- a strong team player, enjoys collaborative working and loves to be challenged
- automate, automate, automate
- you don't get daunted by big stuff
- self-confident, self-motivating, determined, hard-working and organised
- a creative thinker with good problem solving skills
- meticulous and thorough with a healthy respect for quality
- always looking for ways to improve
- someone who doesn't lose sight of the bigger picture
- a desire to make things work
- The ability to communicate in a confident and assuring manner
- Degree or equivalent in computer science, electronics engineering, communications engineering
- RetHat Certification desirable (or 3 years hands on linux admin experience)
- You are a "generalist" - you are able to write well thought-out, good quality code in different programming and scripting languages (i.e. C, C++, Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Bash)
- Trouble-shooting complex issues with deployed systems
- You know a lot about Systems Administration on Linux and have some hands-on experience working as a DevOp.
- You've worked with Agile teams before
- Experience of improving and simplifying development and operational processes via automation
- Previous experience with Hudson/Jenkins or other continuous integration tools
Technical Proficiencies Required:
- Excellent UNIX and Linux skills (administration, development, trouble shooting, bash scripting)
- JVM based web applications support
- Python Scripting knowledge (else Perl or Ruby)
- Object Oriented design and development techniques
- Multi-threaded and multi-process application management
- Network troubleshooting and knowledge of the TCP/IP stack
- Monitoring tools, e.g. Zabbix
- Virtualisation experience, e.g. VCenter, VSphere, EXsi 4.0/5.1
- Supporting existing platforms which include Virtualisation, SVN, Jira and Confluence
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959494182