Desktop Support Manager
Student Loans Company is a non-profit making Government-owned organisation set up in 1989 to provide loans and grants to students in universities and colleges in the UK. We are responsible for student support delivery in the UK.
We enable our customers to invest in their futures by delivering secure, accurate and efficient assessment, payment and repayment services.
Our vision is to be valued as a digital, customer-focused, centre of excellence.
Overview of department:ITS Operations is one of 5 core functions within SLC the others are Software Delivery, Architecture, Security and Service Delivery and Vendor Management.The role of the Desktop Support Manager is to lead and manage desktop teams across 3 sites to deliver an efficient and effective Desktop support, customer focused desktop analysts to provide problem / incident resolution to our local and remote usurers.This is to comply with SLA’s and our problem and incident management processes.Job Purpose:The Desktop Support Manager is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and management of desktop support solutions and processes in support the Information Technology Services. Responsibilities include strategic selection and implementation of desktop end user support solutions, selection and management of support partners and tools, the management of day-to-day end user support activities and teams, and ownership of issue escalations and resolution.
General:This individual will manage the Desktop support team to ensure a professional and efficient End User experience providing excellent problem/incident resolution of hardwar and software and toSLA’s. This position is also responsible for leading and driving end user focused projects including PC Refresh, new technology implementations, moves and break/fix tasks across various locations and include security compliance and desktop patch managementThe role will require a sound understanding of the Microsoft product set, ITIL framework, and appreciation for industry trends. You will be expected to apply these in support of the operational strategy for SLC and our Desktop environments. Strong people skills are essential, with proven experience in successfully managing service teamacross multiple sites.Key responsibilities:
- To be responsible for managing a team of Desktop Support Analysts supporting the Desktop environment for SLC’s operations, in order to ensure that they maintain customer focus. Administrative management of all team members including Time Management, Objective setting, Performance Development, Training plans and personal development.
- To ensure that the Desktop Environment and its associated technologies remain current, supported, highly available, operate efficiently, perform within agreed targets and deliver a secure desktop platform on which SLC can perform its business.
- To ensure adequate resourcing to manage all project activities and BAU activities including desktop moves. This includes 3rd party management where required.
- Provision of accurate monitoring and altering of all Desktop associated devices to aid pro-active incident, Patch and Security managementClose liaison with Problem Management for instances where the underlying cause of an incident is not clear or requires further investigation. Recruit, manage and develop the team, setting stretching objectives and appropriate professional performance standardsEstablish and imbed quality assurance standards into operational environment – and ensure that appropriate metrics and trend reports are in place To provide MI reports on a regular and Ad-Hoc basis as required. To provide support and work with the Services Manager in following areas:Budget Forecasting, setting and Contract ManagementThird Party Support and Partner Relationship ManagementStrategic PlanningCreation of Business CasesProject delivery planning and administrationDesktop Security
- Degree level education with a solid all round knowledge of IT and its use within a business environment or appropriate skills level and management experience.
- ITIL 3 minimum qualification.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a supportive environment, this will include dealing with escalations from the business, providing feedback and dealing with multiple teams and problems simultaneously in an effective and efficient manner.
- The position holder must be capable of working on their own initiative within the procedures and guidelines.
- The ability to communicate with all levels of staff, management and up to senior management level.
- SolidIncident and Problem solving skills.
- Resilient, confident and tenacious with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Track record of experience in all facets of Management including recruitment, development/ mentoring and performance related management
- Prepared to work extended hours and travel to other sites/regions as required
- Sound knowledge of a range of management techniques
- Ability to analyse data and present information clearly via in reports or and presentations.
- Be experienced in developing and leading organisational desktop refresh of hardware and software.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/77514685