Applications Engineer - Laser systems
An exciting new role for a Physicist (or possibly Mechanical Engineer or Materials Scientist) to join a highly successful technology company designing high-tech laser systems & custom laser machining services for clients world-wide. The Physicist will join them as an Applications Engineer. As Applications Engineer you will develop new laser micro-machining processes & techniques for a diverse range of clients.
As Applications Engineer (Physicist) you will quickly take responsibility for all aspects of managing and delivering projects. As your capabilities grow there will be opportunities to expand your responsibilities to include assisting with on-site installation and commissioning of equipment world-wide and contributing to exciting new R&D projects.
This is an exceptional role for an enthusiastic Physicist (or Materials Science Graduate etc) ideally with some knowledge or experience in Laser/Optical Engineering or Materials keen to develop a career in a high-tech industry.
Based in Oxfordshire, this highly successful Technology Company develop market leading laser micro-machining systems with typical capital values ranging from £500k to in excess of £1million. In addition they provide a highly cost effective in-house subcontract manufacturing service which is growing exponentially due to its less capital intensive nature. The company sell their technology & services to a broad range of worldwide sectors including Medical Device, Consumer Goods, Automotive, Semiconductor and Academia. They have achieved consistent profit since the company's founding in 1977 and are currently experiencing exponential growth.
To be considered for the role of Applications Engineer you need the following:
- A Degree (BSc, MPhys, BEng / MEng, MSc, etc) in Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or similar/related subject.
- Experience of practical hands on application of science.
- Strong problem solving ability
- Ability to work well independently
- Personable with a customer focused manner
- Ability to travel occasionally internationally at short notice.
- Excellent written/verbal communications skills
Knowledge of the following would be advantageous but training can be provided:
- Laser Micromachining e.g. advanced laser thin film patterning, laser transfer (LIFT), laser surface modification and high aspect ratio micro-cutting/drilling of glass, ceramics, metals, plastics with state-of-art direct write schemes.
- Fabrication & Characterisation of Materials
- Materials Science
- Ultrafast and/or Q-switched laser systems
- Machine control software
- Integration and test of complex laser systems
Job Role - Applications Engineer (Physicist /Materials Scientist etc)
Vacancy Location - Oxfordshire
Salary - £26-38K +benefits (Guide only). NB During busy times the role may involve occasional weekend work on a rota (max 8 hours on 1-2 weekends per month max) but you will be suitably compensated -eg with time-in lieu or overtime pay.
For more details contact Alex Hannigan-Train (************** ) at Vector Recruitment Ltd, ( ************ )
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959512069