The Project Engineer provides support or leadership in the development of the technical solution to meet the customer capability needs. They ensure that the solution is successfully integrated into the current enterprise whilst managing and minimising negative impacts. They seek to apply engineering best practice and ensure that all stakeholders are effectively managed throughout the engineering activities. They involve specialists as required and actively consider performance, safety and quality implications before making decisions.
- Ensure that performance, time, cost, risk and safety factors are taken into consideration when making technical decisions.
- Discuss and agree system design solutions with Suppliers and ensure that the inherent technical risks associated with them are understood and managed.
- Ensure the solution integrates into defence and manage the system boundaries and interfaces by identifying, engaging and managing specialists as required.
- Follow all applicable engineering standards, legislation, policy and guidance, ensuring that where there is deviation, the impact understood, planned and managed.
- Specify the technical and integration aspects in contracts
- Specify the technical and integration aspects in the Through Life Management Plan (TLMP) ensuring that all Defence Lines of Development (DLoDs) are addressed.
- Work with the Project Manager and other engineers to identify the technical stakeholders and ensure that they are identified, engaged and managed throughout the engineering activities.
Additional experience required for this role:
Experience in engineering management of an IFF or radar system through to acceptance trials & experience & understanding of Army Trials Policy and Technical and Operational Field Trials would be an advantage.
Key tasks and deliverables:
Equipment and platform design reviews, equipment FATS and platform integration and First of Type installation and acceptance.
Security clearance to Security Check level is required.
The Air Platform Systems Identification Equipment Branch (APS (DENT) is acquiring and integrating Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) systems on multiple platform types. The Mode 5 IFF project will deliver a secure and interposable IFF system on 33 platform types across the Air, Land and Maritime domains. The post holder shall support APS-IDENT3, Land Platform lead, in the management of the acquisition, integration, installation, acceptance and support of IFF systems the HVM SP and T102 air defence radar. This include leading the acquisition of the Mode 5 IFF interrogators for these platform and 3 classes of ship receiving the interrogators.
The role is principally to manage the integration of the IFF system onto the HVM SP and T102 platforms. This will entail working with the prime contractor, platform teams, Test & Evaluation and ITE support contractors through technical working groups, design reviews and the ITE working group to mature the solution, mange integration and acceptance and carry out fleet embodiment.
The second role will be to manage the acquisition of the two types of Mode 5 IFF interrogators. These are modified off the shelf equipment. The role will be to manage the acquisition and evaluation of the design through design reviews, Factory Acceptance Testing through to production.
The post holder will be expected to: engage with a range of stakeholders including Prime Contractor, ITE contractor, Platform teams, other Defence Lines Of Development, TEA organisations and Front Line Commands to ensure project dependencies, enablers, constraints and risks are properly identified and managed; contribute to the projects risk management process, project schedule, project plan and financial management; deputise for APSIDENT3 as Land Platform lead as required.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959502592