Technical Architect - Metadata
Technical Architect - Metadata Architect
The Technical Architect reports directly to the Lead Architect in the Content Platforms department part of OTT Global TV Platforms & Apps Software Engineering unit, working closely with other domain architects, technical leads, and software delivery teams across all of OTT Global TV Platforms & Apps Software Engineering, Group TV and Digital Platforms (TVDP), and the other Technology divisions.
The Technical Architect will have systems architecture implementation responsibility for a number of development projects working closely with Solution Architects and supporting them to go deep and shape Technology's approach to support a product/proposition (both on new products & propositions and extending the brands portfolio of products & propositions).
Solution Design and Implementation
You will be accountable for the definition of solution detailed designs and implementations, which balance the needs of the business with the evolution of the technical landscape by:
- Supporting the solution architects to ensure that the solution documentation, software implementation and technology choices are aligned with the intended solution design
- Supporting the solution architects in creating and delivering innovative end-to-end solution detailed designs for products that meet the requirements of the sponsor while maintaining the overall integrity of the Technology systems estate;
- Working with delivery teams assisting them in aligning to the overall solution detailed design and adjusting the solution architecture as needed in the face of changes to requirements through to product launch;
- Working with delivery teams in developing solutions that are secure, highly responsive, scalable, highly available, and resilient in the face of failure of dependent components and systems;
- Ensuring solution detailed designs align with prevailing Technology strategy, and the relevant technology and corporate policies (such as security, data management and retention, PCI, etc.).
The main focus of your solutions detailed design and implementation work will be in support of the Content Metadata platforms and the integration of those components with the other TVDP Platform components and Sky capabilities providing services to Sky's products such as Sky Digital TV Set Top Boxes, Sky Go, NowTV, Sky Sports Mobile TV, Sky Store, AdSmart etc.
The Content Metadata platforms cover all the back-office systems aggregating, enriching and publishing metadata to STBs and CE devices, and experience in architecting for or implementing one or more of these types of platform as highly scaled services is essential.
You will work with the other Content Platforms Architects in articulating and evangelising the overall mission & vision of the department. You will support delivery teams with aligning to department technical strategy and technical governance processes.
- Providing expertise on open source tools and systems, and thought leadership around agile development practices;
- Identifying the key technologies, components and practices that deliver value to TVDP OTT Global TV Platforms & Apps Software Engineering, TVDP, and Sky Europe;
- Evangelising strategic technologies and best practices to help spread acceptance within the delivery teams;
- Supporting the definition of standards and best practices to stick to when implementing solutions detailed design; and provide technology specific expertise, advise (and police) technology choices;
- Participating as subject matter expert on internal working groups and forums as requested; and also representing Sky UK in technology, standards and professional forums as appropriate;
- An understanding of Web technologies including HTTP, JSON, JSON Schema, Avro, XML and XML Schema Language.
- An understanding of database technologies, including Entity-Relationship modelling, data normalisation, noSQL storage and the Structured Query Language.
- Ability to anticipate business needs and translate them into technical solutions.
- Ability to conceptualise and design platforms capable of supporting multiple systems or applications.
- The ability to apply modelling techniques as needed to data, logical and physical architectures, including the use of the Unified Modelling Language for describing static and dynamic aspects of systems.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Good consultancy and influencing skills, working within strong technical environments.
- Adept at translating complex technical concepts into meaningful recommendations.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Relevant first degree or equivalent
- Ongoing professional updating and development.
- Hands on, demonstrable, experience of defining solutions detailed design that deliver all platform aspects of one (or more) of Rights Management, Scheduling & Planning, Programme Metadata Aggregation, Enrichment and Publication systems.
- Hands on, demonstrable experience of defining and delivering architectural solutions detailed design that support very high numbers of peak concurrent users, that are highly available, and highly resilient in the face of dependent component failures.
- Deep understanding and delivery experience of building web-oriented distributed systems architectures and Internet-based networking protocols.
- Experience of using Agile software development methods to deliver iterative solutions.
- Excellent understanding of the inter-relationships between different architectural areas and business areas.
- Demonstrable track record in software engineering working within a software delivery team.
- Demonstrable track record in a software and systems design and/or architectural capacity working in the Media industry delivering Rights Management, Scheduling & Planning, Programme Metadata Aggregation, Enrichment and Publication services.
- Demonstrable track record in the design and delivery of leading edge strategic business solutions from concept through implementation.
- Has undertaken all stages of the systems delivery lifecycle working closely with software engineering teams implementing your solutions.
- Demonstrable record of establishing, developing and maintaining 3rd party vendor relationships and maximising the benefit from those relationships.
- Demonstrable track record of working effectively with senior stakeholders within the business (including Technology, Product Management, Sales & Marketing).
If you're ready to work in a dynamic environment alongside talented people who take pride in delivering great results, apply today via
It's our people that make Sky Europe's leading entertainment company. That's why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Believe in better
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959503656