Linux Systems Engineer
Linux Systems Engineer
Salary: Up To £45,000 + On Call Allowance
Fasthosts Internet Limited is one of the largest internet technology businesses in the UK, and part of United Internet, Europe?s leading Internet Technology group. We have a successful track record in providing the marketplace with innovative solutions, services and products.
Are you currently bored dealing with the same products and issues every day? Do you want to be hands-on with large scale, global, hosting platforms, working as part of Europe?s #1 Hosting Provider?
We are looking for talented individuals for a newly created SysOps function.
Following an internal re-organisation we have formed a small, empowered team, working on key platforms in the UK and Europe.
You will be responsible for resolving issues and finding their root causes by the simplest paths while also being enabled to develop and improve the systems operating in the UK and across the wider European group.
You?ll need to be an excellent communicator, adept at operating under pressure and establishing rapport with colleagues.
We look for individuals who love to learn, are technically confident and enjoy facilitating team collaboration whilst shaping, growing and improving our technology ecosystems.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be from a 3rd Line Support, Development or Operations background
- Be highly technical with demonstrable experience in a commercial environment
- Be an excellent trouble-shooter ? looking to continuously improve the systems you work on
- Love a challenge and be looking for a dynamic environment where you can make a real difference
- Have a passion for Open Source software
The Linux Systems Engineer will need to work within an on call rota providing out of hours support when required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design of new infrastructure solutions as assigned through the company?s project process
- Build, implement, test and document new infrastructure solutions as assigned through the company?s project process
- Act as a technical escalation point for the IT Operations team on customer issues and enquiries
- Act as a technical escalation point for the IT Operations team on issues that have been highlighted through the monitoring of the infrastructure and services
- Provide the mechanism and process to the IT Operations team to enable them to effectively manage and monitor the performance, capacity and availability of the infrastructure and services
- Contribute to the management and development of an appropriate infrastructure security policy.
Skills and Experience Required:
Linux Systems Engineers will be specialists within their own field but they are also expected to have a good understanding of all areas.
Key technologies used:
- CentOS, Redhat, Debian Linux Operating Systems
- Git, Ansible, Puppet, Foreman and bespoke tools.
- Apache/NGINX web server administration
- Postfix/Dovecot mail server administration
- Scripting ? Bash, Python, Perl
- MySQL/MariaDB, Galera, Maxscale database technologies
- Ceph, Scality storage technologies
- Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift
Our Engineers have great development opportunities to progress towards DevOps Engineers, Senior System Engineers or Technical Leads.
Not all of the criteria is essential, so if you?re a keen learner and wish to expand your knowledge, please get in contact and let's have a chat.
To apply for this Linux Systems Engineer position please send your CV via email by clicking on the "Apply Now" button.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959475562