Morson International is currently assisting our client The Low Carbon Contracts Company (LCCC) with their recruitment to the position of Legal Advisor to Report to : Head of Legal and Company Secretary. Based in London (off Fleet Street).
The Low Carbon Contracts Company (LCCC) and the Electricity Settlements Company (ESC) sit at the heart of the delivery of the UK's goals for secure, affordable and sustainable electricity. These two private limited companies, wholly owned by the Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, were created to deliver key elements of the government's Electricity Market Reform (EMR) programme.
Skills/Experience required for the role:
- Solicitor with a minimum of 6-8 years PQE, preferably with in-house experience
- Knowledge and experience of the electricity industry (particularly if it is of CFDs) is highly desirable;
- Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following is desirable but not essential - construction, projects, contracts, project finance, commercial, corporate, public law, state aid, judicial review, public procurement, disputes, litigation and regulatory
- Experience of interface with central government is desirable;
- Experience of complex contracts and/or major projects is essential;
- Responsibility for commissioning and managing external legal advisers;
- Ability to provide an authoritative view on complex legal questions;
- Sound judgement in order to balance risks and advise senior colleagues
- Work with and, as required by the Head of Legal, advise/inform high level stakeholders both internally, within Government and externally across the electricity industry;
- Ability to inspire the confidence of government interfacing colleagues
- Ability to draft to an exacting standard;
- Attention to detail and ability to assimilate and analyse large quantities or complex materials while retaining an ability to see the big picture;
- Ability to deliver quality work to tight deadlines
- Excellent influencing, oral and written communication skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues across the Low Carbon Contracts Company and stakeholders to deliver high quality outcomes.
- Ability to build relationships and promote respect for the legal department and the company.
- Provision of proactive solution based advice.
- Ability and desire to understand and support the delivery of the company's wider strategic goals.
- Support more junior colleagues
- Ability to be recognised as a value adding, pragmatic operator.
- Relevant legal qualification and experience level
- Qualified solicitor;
- Experience of working within or advising a similar business with complex long term contracting arrangements, settlements and payments;
- Ideally experience in utilities sector, specifically the electricity industry;
- Experience of working with or in Government is desirable;
- Ability to inspire confidence and influence at the most senior levels;
- Strong analytical, contractual and technical skills; and
- Proactive team player with credibility to operate at senior level.
The purpose of this role is to provide legal advice to the companies as a member of the Legal team and to assist the Head of Legal to support the business activities and operations of Low Carbon Contracts Company and Electricity Settlement Company. This role has no direct reports. The role will include working in a collegiate way with other functional colleagues on company projects, including providing legal department representation as required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provision of general legal advice relating to CFD Contracts, Capacity Market matters, contract management issues, regulatory matters, business operations, procurement, public procurement, compliance, FOI and general legal issues
- Review heavyweight and complex contractual and project documentation
- Develop and review processes, guidance documents and standards applicable to contracts and business operations
- Provide advice and support around contracttual claims and disputes, the dispute resolution processes and business operations
- Work with third parties providing external assistance, with a view to minimising overall cost and risk to LCCC and ESC
- Take a lead role in legal disputes and manage the external legal advisors working on these disputes
- Identification of Legal issues and ensure Head of Legal is kept informed
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959504434