Our client based in Farnham, Surrey, is one of the UK's leading suppliers of Aids to Navigation with an extensive range of products including navigation buoys, navigation lights for fixed and floating applications, monitoring systems, solar power systems, and data buoy platforms.
As the hands-on Desing / Development Engineer, you'll be involved in managing the design, construction, assembly, repair and testing of individual items of equipment and complete systems. This may take place at our workshops, at customers' workshops or on site.
Your duties could involve :
Assembly and test of standard products.
Design and integration of new products and custom solutions including creation of bills of materials, mechanical layouts, wiring diagrams, and production documentation from pre-bid through to production.
Design of solar and mains power supplies to support aids to navigation systems.
Design and build of control, monitoring and telemetry systems utilising UHF, VHF, GPRS, GSM or satellite communication systems.
Provide technical customer support and work with the sales and marketing teams to respond to technical sales enquiries
Skills & Interests
You'll need to have :
1. Man management skills, you will be in charge of the engineer and the warehouseman who also helps assembling product / programming lights etc
2. Good time management
3. Good ability to prioritise jobs in conjunction with sales / management
6. Ability to design new product
7. Desire to source new components / products
8. Desire to make existing products better / more reliable / using latest technology
9. Experience of satellite / GSM / mobile communications
10. Involvement in visiting exhibitions to source new suppliers / products
11. Working on and off site - in customer premises, exposed land based sites, onboard vessels, setting up exhibition stands
12. Experience with ISO 9001 quality management, this does come into the role a lot.
13. HSE as above, you will need to do risk assessments and method statements for all aspects of our work
14. Ideally degree level education
15. Our client is a small business so their engineers get involved in everything, this is a very hands-on role
16. Good practical and technical skills, including solar power systems and control, monitoring and telemetry systems.
17. Good maths, science, technology, and IT experience with CAD, MS Office, Visio or similar.
18. Ability to manage a varied workload with good problem solving and planning skills.
Knowledge or an understanding of the marine environment and aids to navigation would be very helpful but not essential as the necessary training can be provided to the right candidate.
At least one of the following qualifications in electrical and/or electronic engineering
BTEC National Certificate
NVQ/SVQ Level 3 and above
Degree, HNC or HND
All of the following minimum levels of education are required :
English GCSE Certificate
Maths GCSE Certificate
A full driving licence is essential
Hours and environment
You'll normally work around 37½ hours a week, with occasional overtime to meet deadlines or whilst working away on site. Ability to travel periodically both domestic and international
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959475543