Senior Java Developer
Are you passionate about making the world a better place and making sure that your work has a positive impact on things that matter? A world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk & Business sectors are looking for outstanding Java Engineers to support their ambitious growth plans.
Your duties will enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make ground-breaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress.
Senior Java Developer
We are looking for a Senior Java Developer to join our team of highly talented engineers, working alongside our UX, product and community teams. You will be working within our Social team, building the applications that connect our researcher audience to each other in an increasingly personalised way, driving forward scientific research. With a "start-up background and culture" we put strong emphasis on creativity and interactive learning - your growth is our growth and your skills are our skills.
You will be writing Java web applications and developing RESTful API services using a microservice architecture. The Senior Java Developer will be handling very large quantities of data using appropriate database technologies and collaborating with UX/UI team on devising simple solutions to complex problems that will delight our global users. Working within an agile environment the Senior Java Developer will work closely with the product team to refine, estimate and plan delivery of new features.
- Producing high quality, clean and performant code
- Proving your code works with automated unit, integration and UI tests
- Pairing, code review and ticket verification
- Deploying applications, monitoring their performance and maintaining them in production
- Translating product requirements into technical software designs
- Breaking software designs into manageable tickets/stories that deliver user value
- Sharing your knowledge and contributing to team consensus on technical practices
- Continuously improving our software infrastructure
- Training and mentoring new/junior team members
You should bring:
- Expert knowledge of Java
- Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience working with version control
- Experience with CI (ideally Jenkins)
- Passion for developing performant and engaging web experiences
- Commitment to Test Driven Development in an agile environment
- Comfortable with pair programming
- Great team skills, including the confidence to put your idea across, even if the idea is initially unpopular, and the humility to admit when you are wrong
- Like everyone else on our team, you are versatile with a broad perspective, eager to learn new things and use the best tools for the job. You're not afraid to venture into uncharted territory and come away with mastery of it
- Quality is important to you - you practice unit testing, integration testing, code reviews and constant communication to ensure the best outcome
- You put user experience first when it comes to developing any user facing product. Experience with user experience techniques such as user testing is highly desirable
- You care about performance of front end applications, ensuring that the website feels responsive and content delivery is optimised for perceived speed, using techniques such as lazy loading/deferred content to further enhance the experience
- You are committed to the bigger picture of large software ecosystems; you are constantly thinking about the future when building new applications and features
- You are not afraid to challenge the status quo when necessary, and at the same time respect the opinions presented by your team
Desirable additional skills in:
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959498743