Senior Infrastructure Engineer
The West Midlands Fire Service is a professional and critical part of the UK emergency services, working for us means you have a mission in your work. We are looking for a Systems Engineer to help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security.
The Responsibilities of the role are:
- To manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
The Infrastructure engineer will have the following experience:
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux/Windows based environments.
- Exposure to cloud experience, preferably in AWS or Azure
- Experience with virtualization and containerization preferably Nutanix
- Experience with monitoring systems
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)
The Infrastructure Engineer role is based at our modern offices in Vauxhall Road, Birmingham. The Fire service offer a structured career and training plan, opportunity to work with an extremely talented team on applications that are essential to public safety, utilise cutting edge technology and complexity.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959490919