The Metropolitan Police Service are currently recruiting for a Financial Accountant to join their Corporate Finance Team.
The purpose of the role is to support the Lead Accountant to provide the necessary assurance to Chief Financial Officers of both MOPAC and the MPS in respect of their statutory responsibilities to assure the effect stewardship of public funds.
The post holder will be required to;
- Oversee the integrity of accounting and related exchequer systems and application of the relevant legislation, accounting standards and guidance
- Perform regular validation checks of the accounting system including reconciliation of balance sheet and other holding and suspense accounts, analysis and investigation of abnormal transitional variations and balances, reconciliation of databases and scrutiny of system attributes;
- Assist the senior accountant with drafting financial management reports and expert briefings to senior management in MPS/MOPAC, as required by the Lead Accountant.
- Assist with validating grant claims, statistical returns and POA/SeRCOP outputs.
- Planning and coordination of the closedown/accounting/audit processes
- Assist with ensuring data, analysis, reconciliations and supporting evidence are available for auditors within designated times and all queries are responded to appropriately, efficiently and within agreed response times.
- Assist with coordinating the MPS and MOPAC closedown process, resolving any potential issues, preparing year end instructions and timetable and assisting with any necessary briefings and training.
- Assist with planning the preparation of the Statements of Accounts of the CPM, MOPAC and MOPAC Group and Whole of Government Accounts of the Group to ensure these are prepared on a timely basis and of good quality.
- Prepare the Statutory Accounts and disclosures and Whole of Government Accounts as designated.
- Desirable: CCAB or CIMA membership
- Experience in corporate financial accounting (IFRS & IPSAS) including financial accounting systems maintenance, payroll and pensions control and reconciliations, closedown and preparation of accounts and disclosures;
- Good knowledge & application of relevant statutory, regulatory and professional accounting standards i.e. IFRS, IPSAS and codes i.e. CIPFA including SeRCOP etc;
- Experience of WGA is desirable;
- Excellent IT system interrogation and modeling skills including good knowledge of quantitative techniques;
- Working knowledge of Group Accounts, Joint ventures and mergers is desirable;
- Experience of systems development is desirable;
- Adhere to international standards set by IFAC on Continuing Professional Development and keep abreast of developments in Corporate Governance practices;
Reed Specialist Recruitment is an Employment Agency and an Employment Business for permanent and temporary recruitment. In response to your application Reed will contact you by phone, email or SMS to discuss it and related opportunities. You can opt out at any time using the links provided.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959496846