This role is based within the Application Support team to provide support and enhancements to Birmingham City Council's application estate. Key requirements of the role are:
- Be responsible for building, maintaining and supporting Microsoft SQL Server (2008-2016) platforms across production, development, and test environments.
- Practical experience of managing an MS SQL Server environment utilising PowerShell.
- Provision of 24x7 support to critical business systems.
- Knowledge of migration and conversion of databases to/from SQL Server.
- Day to day troubleshooting of MS SQL Server, monitoring and diagnosing performance issues.
- Practical experience of Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL) using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Creation and maintenance of Database backup and recovery procedures, including High Availability/ Disaster Recovery.
- Good knowledge of the OS platform - Windows 2008/2012 Server including clustering technology.
- Strong communication skills are essential to interface regularly with other teams.
- Provide technical guidance and skills development to the other DBAs in line with industry best practise and engage in coordination work within the team.
- Experience of planning, designing and implementing RDBMS upgrades.
- Conduct system load analysis to assist in capacity management and performance reviews, perform database tuning, make recommendations for code tuning where appropriate to ensure optimum performance.
- Highly desirable skills in supporting an Oracle 10 - 12c Database environment across production, development, and test environments.
- Highly desirable skills in supporting a MySQL Database environment across production, development, and test environments.
- Installation, configuration and upgrading of SQL Server software and related products.
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures.
- Responsible for database design and implementation.
- Implement and maintain database security to agreed standards.
- Perform tuning and performance monitoring of both database and operating system.
- Configuration, monitoring and tuning of ETL based systems.
- Perform application tuning and performance monitoring.
- Create and maintain documentation and standards.
- Capacity planning.
- Work as part of a team and provide 24x7 support as part of a rota.
- Good understanding of the SQL database, related utilities and tools.
- A good understanding of the underlying operating system.
- Experience in code migration, database change management and data management through the various stages of the development life cycle.
- Excellent communication skills with management, development teams, vendors and systems administrators.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines, including acting as a Technical Lead for designated projects.
- Sound understanding of the business processes and requirements.
- Experience of managing a database environment using Windows PowerShell.
Capita IT Resourcing is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959496292