Principal Software Engineer
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER - OVERVIEW
A new vacancy exists within Ricardo for a Principal Software Engineer. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a range of different products & technology, with responsibility for application of systems engineering methodologies in order to provide the best solutions to our clients.
Everyday responsibilities will include:
- Taking responsibility for defining the approach & leading technical delivery of software engineering work products according to cost, quality and operational targets,
- Communication and cooperation with a multi-disciplinary project delivery team, clients and suppliers
- Engaging with our customers & business development team to understand the customer need, plan a technical approach to client projects and develop corresponding estimates & plans for delivery
- Improving delivery techniques; tools, procedures, work aids, etc.
- Supporting the wider team with regard to understanding software engineering processes & procedures
This role would be well suited to applicants who have substantial, proven embedded software engineering expertise across a variety of different applications.
The position will be located at Cambridge and you could also be expected to work ?on site? at the customer location for short periods. You should have a full driving license and be prepared to travel in the U.K and abroad occasionally for customer meetings.
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER ? PERSON
You are a thorough yet pragmatic engineer who applies a sound understanding of the fundamentals of software engineering to pro-actively ensure that the product is well specified & robustly engineered throughout the development life-cycle.
You have a clear understanding of importance of software engineering techniques and its relationship with other engineering disciplines, such a systems engineering & functional safety. You are passionate about ensuring that a systematic approach is used and firm in your belief that high-quality decisions made near the start of development will reap significant benefits downstream.
Able to work & communicate well within multi-disciplinary project teams, you are a self-starter, able to make evidence-based decisions, and display a strong ?can-do? attitude to match the challenges you will face with equal enthusiasm.
In order to be successful, you will need to seek innovative solutions while working closely with development teams and interfacing with customers within tight timescales.
The successful candidate will be degree qualified in a technical subject and will have a sound practical knowledge of software engineering (likely having experience of more than one development lifecycle methodology), either in automotive or another industry. Understanding of automotive systems and technology is an advantage, but lack of such understanding will not be a barrier for the eager learner.
Through your career you will have developed a deep understanding of software engineering within and embedded context & been involved in the requirements development & architectural design of several systems. Writing scripts to automate repetitive tasks or perform data extraction & manipulation tasks will be a frequently used tool in your kit. Your combination of knowledge & experience will allow you to effectively coach, support & develop more junior team members.
You will likely have had previous experience of technical leadership, working with a project manager to define, monitor & report on the day-to-day technical work of the team.
Knowledge or experience in at least one of the following additional areas would be helpful, though not essential:
- working knowledge of ISO 26262 and applied it in the development of high-integrity software
- knowledge of electronics hardware and ability to understand electronic design schematics
- have been involved in the creation, roll-out and maintenance of software processes & procedures
- awareness of Model Based Design concepts & tools
- wide knowledge of automotive technologies, standards and protocols (e.g. CAN, AUTOSAR, OSEK, J1939, ISO 14229, Title 13)
- experience of working with networked systems and appreciation of failure modes and consequences, particularly in an automotive context
- use of a range of test methods and tools including unit/module testing, debuggers, communication bus analysers and system testing
Closing Date: 4 December 2017
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959476058