IT Specialist - DBA
Working in a team of database (SQL Server, Oracle, Redshift), Oracle E Business Suite and Middleware (Oracle SOA) technical professionals, this role is primarily a SQL Server DBA who can also help to support Oracle databases (70% SQL DBA/30% Oracle). The SQL Server DBA will primarily be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, ensuring the availability and consistent performance of corporate applications. This is a ?hands-on? position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
As a specialist, your primary responsibility is support, working closely with IT services teams to resolve support incidents. There is also a large amount of project work, a need for you to deliver continuous improvement to SQL Server installation and procedures and provide expertise and advice on database related matters to other IT teams.
- Administration of production SQL Server database infrastructure in a production environment.
- Providing 2nd/3rd line support for the SQL Server and Oracle environments.
- Ensuring that incidents are handled in a professional manner, keeping users up to date on progress and ensure prompt and efficient completion.
- Managing/monitoring the capacity/performance of SQL Server/Oracle databases.
- Ensuring integrity, security and availability is maintained in SQL Server/Oracle databases.
- Participating in projects involving SQL Server to ensure that the databases are built and deployed in accordance to standards and that documentation is complete and knowledge is transferred to support colleagues.
- Developing a standard approach and set of processes for SQL Server installs, configuration, backup etc and standardising of the current SQL Server estate in accordance with them.
- Proactively improving, monitoring, maintenance, automation and processes.
- Participating and contributing to service and operational improvement programmes.
- Working with third party partners to manage escalations and problem resolution.
- Out of hours support of databases and occasional evening/weekend work.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in computing related subject.
- Experience of IT service management disciplines based on ITIL or similar, ideally with a qualification in this area.
- Microsoft SQL Server/Oracle DBA/ITIL certifications.
Key skills (In order of Importance)
- Flexible, team player, ?get-it-done? personality.
- Excellent experience of managing SQL Server in a production environment, including performance tuning, backup & recovery.
- Strong experience with High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server.
- Knowledge and reasonable production experience of Oracle database administration.
- Cloud computing (preferably AWS) experience.
- Good understanding of server operating systems, virtualization principles and monitoring technologies.
- Experience of IT service management disciplines based on ITIL or similar.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills ? you thrive when presented with a technical challenge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to organise and plan work independently.
- Excel in working in a rapidly changing environment, ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams.
The IT industry is changing. Many believe that cloud computing will be the future. Our client believes in that future and are looking for an Infrastructure Specialist who can help them on the journey to build an unrivaled operational and development capability in the cloud. This will lead to new ways of working and an infrastructure agility to support their business.
They are looking for candidates that have a deep technical understanding and an excellent proven record of supporting data centre solutions in virtualised environments. They have a traditional technical landscape in their on-premise data centre, but have initiated a strategic plan, where possible to simplify their infrastructure platform on Amazon Web Services.
If you recognize that cloud computing is the future, then this could be an opportunity for you to develop and enhance your skills. They are a progressive organisation seeking to attract candidates who will relish the technical challenge and opportunity to develop their skills and learn new ones. They need someone able to work independently, with the vision to define and document a consistent approach and set of standards. You must also have the drive and tenacity to deliver your improvements.
Your primary responsibility will be to maintain their service supporting the business and application landscape, as the 2nd / 3rd line support capability. You and your team will work closely with application and other infrastructure support teams to deliver high quality service to the corporate, retail and wholesale divisions.
The main purpose of the role is to maintain the service delivery and service levels as per the SLA?s. Additionally, you will play an important role in the delivery and implementation of projects. You will seek ways to improve their current installations and processes.
They expect the candidate to have excellent SQL Server skills and a good working knowledge of Oracle. You will be working as part of a small team and will be the subject matter expert for SQL Server. You will work on a mixture of support, project work and continuous improvements. You will be part of the out of hours on-call rota covering SQL Server, Oracle and Redshift databases. You will have the opportunity to learn and cross train (i.e. Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle SOA).
They are seeking someone who can add value to their team, bringing your experience to bear to improve their current estate and smooth their transition to the cloud.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959489911