Solution Engineering Manager
We're inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, we're transforming the world around us.
The ISR business is a world leader in Radar Electronics, Electronic Detection & Countermeasures and Integrated Surveillance Targeting & Reconnaissance (ISTAR) systems (including Unmanned Air Vehicles). As a Systems Engineer you will be working in a large community of Systems Engineers (as well as Software and Hardware Engineers), with a wide variety of experience, offering excellent opportunities for transverse career development. A Systems Engineer is expected to support state-of-the art electronic hardware and firmware development, mechanical assemblies, software development and networked computing systems.
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, with business travel
Primary Purpose of Role:
- The mission of the Engineering Manager is to plan, execute and own the engineering activities for the overall solution within constraints provided by the Architect and the Project Design Authority in order to satisfy customer requirements and ensures global development consistency of the engineering process, practices and tools. The role covers the full perimeter of the engineering including Supply Chain and Subcontractors.
- The Engineering Manager:
- Ensures the timely delivery of the Engineering Baselines (requirements and design) mapped to the Customer Requirements in support of the project
- Ensures the successful delivery of all engineering deliverables to the overall Project
- Plans and drives the whole engineering activities for the solution within constraints provided by the Architect and the Project Design Authority in order to satisfy customer requirements through Acceptance and ensures global development consistency of the engineering process, practices and tools
- Ensures the delivery of Safety & Security requirements in support of associated accreditation
- Is responsible for the supervision of engineering resources
The Engineering Manager is responsible for:
- Requirements, System Engineering, Software Engineering & Hardware Engineering baselines
- Coherency and consistency of the engineering on the project and within the Thales Chorus 2.0 processes and procedures
- Ensuring the effective interfacing with the external Thales engineering and operational organisations
- Ensuring the compliance of the engineering baselines with the policies, directives of the Project Design Authority and requirements as captured within the requirements.
- Delivery on time and to cost, of the design and development products in support of the project schedule
- Managing the risk mitigation activities within the engineering WBS and reporting to the Risk Manager
- Ensuring application of quality processes
Experience, Skills and Qualifications needed:
- Experience of development of large scale complex systems.
- Multi-discipline background (systems, software, hardware).
- Able to negotiate with and influence all stakeholders including peers & non-direct reports.
- Ability to define WBS, OBS and associated tasks, tailor the development process and ensure achievement of the development baselines (functional, allocated and product).
- Manages Risks & Opportunities of design and development during bid and delivery phases, guarantees project commitments, including those flown down to subcontractors and partners.
- Ability to mitigate risks and assess opportunity ROIs (Return on Investment) which may need to change the engineering baseline.
- Ability to optimise technical work against costs, schedule and risks from design to validation and acceptance of the solution.
- Defines and tailors the engineering environment suitable for the Bid or the Project.
- Experienced in a full project development lifecycle, familiarity across all engineering
- Able to question / challenge established processes and offer innovative alternatives.
- Minimum 2:1 Bachelor Degree (BEng, BSc) in a Numerate, Scientific or Engineering subject or Higher Education/equivalent training and experience.
- HNC/HND qualification may be acceptable with relevant experience in the technical areas indicated above.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959480262