Our client is a world leading developer of technologies, who provides those working for them with a beautiful environment to enjoy.
They are in urgent need of an enthusiastic, methodical, and analytical individual to join their team. The ideal candidate will have experience in Data Architecture, Database Modelling and/or DevOps roles, and are looking to widen and deepen their understanding of databases handling exponentially growing volumes of data. You will help ensure large volumes of scientific data are stored appropriately, securely, and quickly accessible in order for customers innovation teams to gain insights.
As a Junior Data Architect you will perform a variety of tasks associated with data architecture such as modelling new data storage requirements and data flows, and developing & maintaining Relational and NoSQL databases.
Specific Tasks will include, but not limited to:
- Act as a bridge between software development and technical operations
- Carrying out investigations on production to understand performance loading
- Carrying out benchmarking and performance engineering to understand system performance
- Communicating performance needs and issues to development
- Assisting or coding features in particularly performance critical areas
- Carry out database maintenance operations as needed:
- Ensure appropriate backup strategy is in place.
- Carry out data restores as necessary.
- Manage information flow from production to development or performance test data instances.
- Assist in design and implementation of logical and physical data model ensuring it will comply with system functional and performance requirements.
- Develop automation tools using appropriate languages e.g. Ansible, bash, packer etc.
- Write Standard Operating Procedures, and to refine and develop standards where necessary.
- Implement database software installations, upgrades, and patches.
- Develop and maintain good working relations with stakeholders and establish effective communication channels.
As an ideal candidate, you will have most of the following:
- Bachelor?s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field Or Data Architect / Database Developer / DBA / DevOps role.
- Relevant professional certifications, e.g.TOGAF, Certified DBA, ITIL Certification
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL RDBMS
- Knowledge of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS),
- Understand RDBMS Concepts
- Proficient in RDBMS Programming Languages: SQL, PL/pgSQL
- Write and review Python or Perl programs using Object-Relational Mapping packages
- Implement Database Tuning, understand SQL explain plans, column statistics, indexing strategies, and locking models
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills
- RDBMS High Data Load technologies: Sharding, Distributed Databases (Postgres-XL, Oracle RAC)
- Data indexing and searching (e.g. ElasticSearch / Lucene, Solr, Xapian)
- Understand Data Warehouse concepts; Fact & Dimension tables, ETL
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (e.g. Redis, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Ability to develop creative solutions to big data problems
- Proficient in Database Backup and Recovery, Database Monitoring and Management
- Evidence of a systematic, evidence-based approach to database troubleshooting and tuning
- Evidence of well written SQL and PL/PGSQL, Python/Perl ORM code
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating systems and one or more scripting languages (e.g. bash, perl, python).
- Experience of building and maintaining a Data Warehouse
- Working with large compute clusters
- Exposure to cloud services (e.g. AWS)
- 37.5 hours per week
- 25 days of annual holiday, increasing by 1 day per year to a maximum of 30 days
- Bonus Scheme
- Private healthcare coverage through AXA PPP, with the ability to add family members.
- Income protection benefits
- Life insurance
- Subsidised gym membership
- Free parking
- Flexible working schedule potential (some ability to work from home as needed)
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959477350