Director of Engineering UK - Cardiff
Director, Engineering UK - Cardiff
We at Alert Logic are looking for a passionate and experienced Director of Engineering UK to join us in our Cardiff based European Head Office.
The Director, Engineering - UK is responsible for leading the execution and operations of globally distributed development teams who work on complex and challenging tasks in the area of distributed data collection and access to support Alert Logic product offerings. The Director, Engineering - UK will provide leadership and guidance in the areas of Career Development, Software Development, Testing and Operational Support activities.
The Director, Engineering will interact with internal Alert Logic leaders and teams to drive initiatives that optimize and improve our service platform with constant focus on customer satisfaction and operational excellence. The Director, Engineering will take ownership of development processes, product feature delivery and operational state of components of a distributed and highly available computing platform that delivers security as a service to Alert Logic customers on a 24/7 basis. In collaboration with other teams and leaders, the Director, Engineering will work towards continuous improvement of the Alert Logic technology platform and share responsibility for its success.
Key role responsibilities
- Be accountable for the results of the team, measure individual and overall team performance, design strategies and processes to continually enhance team effectiveness
- Facilitate discussions around delivery and technical challenges and help the team make right choices based on objective performance indicators
- Take ownership of projects portfolio, participate in planning sessions and represent the team during the decision-making process, delivering opinions and impacts on both delivery and technical matters
- Motivate and influence employees to strive for a high level of alignment with our cultural values of: Customer Focus, Innovation, Action, Results Orientation, Teamwork, and Process Management
- Be responsible for hiring / terminations for the team and justifying staffing levels
- Coach and develop employee professional career growth within Alert Logic
- Define with the team and defend operational metrics
- Perform the job in accordance with the company's policies and procedures, especially the Equal Opportunities and Harassment Policy
- To perform any other duties as may be reasonably be require from time-to-time
Required skills and experience
- Proven experience managing multiple complex technical projects with a team of Software Engineers
- Proven record of managing engineering teams supporting complex systems with very strict service level objectives (availability, scalability, 24/7, 365)
- Proven ability to partner with Product organization regarding priority of market-driven verses engineering-driven requirements
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain outstanding software engineers and managers
- Demonstrated ability to manage project scope and deliver on time
- Demonstrated ability to manage customer expectations (internal and external) regarding delivery and technical feasibility
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, coupled with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Applied experience in full development lifecycle management; specifically, with an Agile methodology
- Demonstrable knowledge of DevOps paradigm and software ownership principles along with strong desire to cultivate that knowledge
- Understanding core principles of metric driven development and operational support, readiness to build effective teams and motivate them to achieve better results proven by objective measurements
- Proven hands-on development experience in procedural, object or functional programming specifically Erlang.
- Experience managing and working with multi-cultural / geographically distributed teams
Desired skills and experience
- Experience managing teams responsible for large scale, 24x7 distributed systems
- Understanding of vulnerability scanning technologies and methods
- Understanding of security detection technologies such as IDS, IPS, WAF, etc.
- Understanding of host log collection (MS Windows, syslog)
- Experience delivering multi-tenant, or SaaS, applications or technology platforms
- Hands-on experience with AWS/Azure IaaS solutions and tools
- Ability to manage customer expectations through the prism of technical feasibility and appropriate delivery timeline accuracy
- Experience with continuous integration, continuous deployment, and other dev-ops cultural aspects is highly desired
- Familiarity with developing solutions on Linux/Unix
- Post-Secondary education in Computer Science or Management of Information Systems, or related field
In return the Director Engineering - UK can expect a highly competitive salary up to £85,000 - £95,000 per annum and benefits package that includes 25 days holiday, company pension, private medical, and life assurance. As well as working in a modern and bright centrally located office, with a variety of perks including table tennis, free fruit, and Welsh Cake Wednesdays!
The position will be advertised from 4th November 2017 and the deadline for applications is 4th December 2017
Who are we?
Alert Logic is the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for cloud, hybrid and on-premises data centre infrastructure. Fully managed by a team of experts, the Alert Logic product suite delivers the deep security insight and continuous protection needed to protect a company's most sensitive data. Alert Logic provides 24x7 network, system and application protection for over 4,000 organizations worldwide. Founded in 2002, we now have offices in Cardiff, Belfast, and London in the UK, as well as Houston, Seattle, Dallas, and Austin in the US.
Our People & Culture
We work in an exciting space, and we create technology solutions like nothing else out there. We are passionate about our work, and share our skills in a team environment. As a managed security provider, we are always looking forward, running to opportunities, and solving needs with solutions that work. We strive to meet customer needs with teams that exceed expectation. And we work hard, because we know everyone around us is working hard, too.
Security will never be the same! Join us!
Notice to recruitment agencies: Alert Logic does not accept unsolicited candidate resumes from recruiting agencies. We will not be liable for and will not pay placement fees for unsolicited resumes submitted to our jobs postings, employees or company locations.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959464271