National Grid is looking for Commissioning Engineers in the South East and London
We are looking for Engineers with HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline and a background in electricity. If you have SAP Authorisation, TP141 & TP144 the salary on offered could be as high as £58,000 + benefits. We also offer all of the training as part of the role to attain these qualifications if you don?t already have them.
Other incentives may include:
Potential Market Supplement of £2000 (outside of London) or £5000 (London)
London Weighting Relocation package
Along with a company car, appropriate training, double and match pension scheme (you put in 6%, we put in an additional 12%) standby payments, overtime and flexible benefits, you will be joining a company dedicated to your progression and career development.
About the role
- Deliver substation projects and maintenance in a cost-effective manner, demonstrating a dedication to continuous improvement in all our processes;
- Ensure that the electricity transmission network continues to be safe and reliable for everyone;
- You will be key in supporting the day-to-day running, use of resources and allocation of work for projects on site including safety management of our systems;
- Delivery of work packages within level of competence, ensuring productivity, efficiency and utilisation of various work groups by taking responsibility for direct control of staff, and assist in performance management and project expenditure;
- Ensure safe and reliable commissioning and operation of new substation assets on the electricity transmission system, to meet demands of sustainable generation, customer requirements and replacement of an ageing asset base;
- Monitor, review and progress work undertaken by contractors, including enacting roles as defined in CDM Regulations;
- Undertake standby and emergency call out duties as part of an agreed standby rota.
- Ability to commission all types of equipment to recognised standards and procedures;
- Effective planning, resource management, communication and supervisory skills;
- Project delivery experience on a full range of complex, multi-interface projects will be required;
- A wide range of experience in substations work and/or on HV cable systems, encompassing electrical, mechanical, civil and telecoms engineering disciplines is required;
- Technical knowledge relating to the electrical and safety aspects of substation plant;
- Proven ability to respond to emergency situations;
- Minimum HNC/Foundation Degree in an engineering discipline, preferably electrical;
- Qualifications leading to membership of IET or similar professional body;
- Senior Authorised Person under National Grid?s Safety Rules is desirable, however full training to achieve this authorisation for the role will be provided;
- Advanced Commissioning Engineer under National Grid?s UK Transmission Procedure TP141 is desirable;
- Principal Contractor Representative (PC) / Site Manager under National Grid?s UK Transmission procedure TP144 is desirable;
- NEBOSH General Certificate;
- Full Driving License.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don?t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
To learn more about working at National Grid and applying for this position, click on the Apply button. Please note this role closes on If you are successful following CV screening, we will invite you for a telephone interview/Skype interview in December and if successful in to one of our offices in January for a face to face interview.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959460507