Operational Planning Accountant
Operational Planning Accountant
Reporting to - Operational Reporting Manager
Location - Crawley
Business Unit and Department - Operational Finance
Reference number - 35381
Employment Period - Permanent
Contract Type - Personal Contract
CiP Level / Bonus - 5%
£45,000 - £50,000 depending on experience
Closing Date 17/11/2017
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days rising with service
Personal Pension Plan ? Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On ? scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks is one of Britain?s largest power network, responsible for delivering electricity to 20 million people in London, the South East and the East of England.
We are a distribution company which operates and maintains the networks that deliver power, using 139,000 kilometres of underground cables, 18,000km of Overhead lines, and 130,000 substations. We serve an area of 29,165 square kilometres, from The Wash in the East to the River Arun on the South Coast.
UK Power Networks is owned by the Cheung Kong group (CKI), which has extensive experience of operating regulated infrastructure operations around the world. The group already operates electricity distribution businesses in Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, and has been recognised as having leading customer service and health and safety systems. In the UK it has stakes in Southern Water, Wales and West and Northern Gas Networks.
Our people are central to our business and we recognise the need to be able to attract, recruit and retain high performing employees with the potential, skills and experience necessary for the continued growth of our organisation.
Operational Finance is responsible for three of the Operational Directorates including both delivery directorates. Network Operations, Capital Programme as well as Asset Management make up a major part of the total UKPN budget. These Directorates are responsible for maintaining the Electrical Infrastructure to ensure that we provide a robust supply of electricity across all 3 of our DNO?s to meet demand requirements.
The purpose of the Asset Management team is to provide World Class Strategic Network Development and Asset Management of our public licensed networks - LPN, EPN and SPN. Network Operations activity primarily relates to ?Keeping the Lights On? for our 8 million customers and Capital Programme?s primary purpose is to deliver major capital projects on behalf of UKPN.
The Operational Planning Accountant is responsible for the planning, co-ordination and production of these Directorate budgets and forecasts in line with the UKPN budget / forecast cycle. This includes the production of quarterly Latest Best Estimates (LBEs), annual budget preparation, and longer term forecasting models in support of the UKPN RIIO annual regulatory submission.
You will be required to establish, in line with Central Planning, the reporting framework and timetable for the Operation?s submission and ensure adherence to central reporting timelines.
You will act as the point of contact for budget / forecasting related issues for the Operations directorates and will be expected to manage and co-ordinate the individual business unit submissions ensuring that any variations from current performance are fully documented and understood.
You will be expected to work with Senior Managers across the Operational Directorates in terms of strategic developments and prepare presentations for Directors of these Operational Business Units.
This role is a key partner to all Operational focused departments, as well as the wider Finance team.
The operational directorates have a combined annual spend in excess of £650m.
To play a lead role in the budgeting and forecasting process to delivery robust budgets/forecasts for the Operational Directorates.
- The preparation of consolidated budgets and forecasts for the Operational Directorates.
- The preparation of monthly latest best estimates.
- Responsible for ensuring timely completion of budgetary and forecasting information, including clear explanation of variances to reported prior year performance, burn rates and previous plans.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Activity Led Accountants, and other key stakeholders within UK Power Networks on all planning activities.
- To provide budgetary and forecasting information as required for the preparation of the monthly Operational Performance Review report as agreed with the Operational Reporting Manager.
- Design and Develop ?Best In Class? templates and Financial Planning models to facilitate a Best in Class Operational Planning process that compliment those used by the Central Planning team.
- Embed robust financial governance around the appraisal and implementation of any budget Change Controls, including ensuring that all Operational business cases are robust & challenged with appropriate financial support & streamlining.
- Ensure that Operational Finance is represented at all Financial Planning meetings.
- To work with the other members of the Operational Finance team to ensure all peaks in workload are covered and deadlines are met.
- To participate in ad hoc projects as required
Nature and Scope:
This is a professional role that includes liaising throughout the business, with regular communication with central finance departments, senior management and non-finance managers. You will be expected to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a professional attitude to work and those you deal with. This position is a key role within the Operational Finance team.
You will demonstrate sound judgement in the application of relevant accounting standards and conventions, ensuring that UK Power Networks accounting policies are adhered to. You will also advise operational management on the key issues and impacts arising in relation to the financial position of the business.
It is anticipated that you will undertake this role with a high degree of autonomy, referring to your line manager for guidance or decisions as appropriate.
This position is part of the Operational Finance team supporting the activities of the Operational Side of the business, with a particular interest in Network Operations. Whilst the post will be based at Crawley, the role will involve visits to other locations across the UKPN footprint.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified accountant with 3 years + PQE
- Strong accounting and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Confident in influencing and leading senior business managers
- Ability to work effectively & proactively on own initiative and autonomously, without close supervision
- Ability to plan, project manage and co-ordinate effectively
- Energetic and resilient personality
- A knowledge of UKPN core activities and processes would be beneficial.
- An understanding of the accounting in a regulatory environment would be of benefit
- Strong IT skills, including SAP and Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint.
- Able to define and align to the company?s culture and values.
- A professional who demonstrates a ?take charge? spirit, moves others to action by planning, motivating, organising and controlling work being done.
- Works on their own initiative to agreed thresholds and deadlines.
- Offers a high level of commitment.
- Able to analyse and grasp a situation quickly and create well-reasoned solutions
- Can communicate at all levels.
- Willing to travel across the geographical areas of UK Power Networks where necessary.
- Excellent Spreadsheet skills
- Highly numerate with strong analytical skills
- Interpersonal skills that establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly.
- Able to analyse and grasp a situation quickly and create well-reasoned solutions.
- Effective communication skills - presents ideas and information in a way in which others are informed.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, th
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959459484