Graduate Hardware Engineer
We aim to grow and nurture future talent allowing graduates to become the best and most innovative engineers they can be. The General Dynamics UK Engineering Graduate Scheme allows successful candidates to work across a number of different departments and engineering roles contributing to solution design, solution delivery and solution sustainment within the two business lines of General Dynamics UK.
The engineering graduate scheme runs for 24 months and consists of up to four six-month rotations across the business streams (there is some flexibility here). These rotations ensure that you gain experience and a full appreciation of how General Dynamics UK operates. You will gain hands-on experience undertaking activities under the supervision and guidance from mentors and managers.
Your first year will include a range of training courses, covering technical, interpersonal and team working, to develop skills that are fundamental to the business. Graduates will form multi-disciplined teams where you will learn about the various programmes and business streams, carrying out research and presenting back findings to the business.
Graduates joining General Dynamics UK will be expected to add value from day one. Through the development programme and through work experience in departmental areas, graduates will develop into valuable members of the business and possibly our future leaders.
Once you have successfully completed the graduate scheme, you will become an engineer in the relevant and chosen area of the business. Your manager/supervisor will help and guide your development and ensure that your personal development plan is aligned with your own career aspirations which might include further study for some.
Generic Level Description
- General Accountabilities
- Learns job/role requirements; begins to apply academic knowledge to job/role accountabilities
- Supervision Required or Provided to Others
- Works under close supervision, and requires significant direction on how assignments are to be executed
- Works on problems of limited scope. Follows standard practices and procedures in analysing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained.
- Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Learns to apply company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues. Able to apply basic knowledge/skills to own work. Develops skills in basic theories, practices and procedures in one skill area through formal training.
- Problem Solving
- Uses existing, clearly defined procedures to solve routine problems; applies limited judgment and discretion
- Planning & Organising
- Organises own time to deliver against tasks set by others, with a short term horizon
- Project Management Accountabilities
- Carries out assignments within well-defined practices, procedures and approaches
- Decision Making and Autonomy
- Limited decision-making authority and autonomy; predominantly takes direction from others
- Client/Business Orientation
- Is introduced to the basic needs of the internal and external client and responds to standard requests. Understands relationship between work processes and the business but horizons limited to own team. Is aware of costs related to own work.
- Communication, Negotiation and Influencing
- Asks questions, checks for understanding, provides explanation clearly and precisely.
- Leadership Requirements
- Establishes co-operative relationships to work effectively with colleagues; supports others and participates as a team member, carrying out duties as directed
- Key Contacts
- Deals directly with immediate supervisor, co-workers and team members; engages in routine exchanges of information; interactions with external contacts, if applicable, would be monitored
- Physical Effort
- Little chance of injury. Duties may involve sitting, standing, keyboarding with frequent flexible breaks.
- Working Conditions
- Standard Office Environment. May be required to travel and/or have overnight trips. Hours worked may exceed regular schedule.
Systems: Systems Engineering involves the interdisciplinary application of many different engineering principles that enables the realisations of successful systems. This is achieved through the engineer incorporating an approach that takes into account all of the factors that can affect the system through its entire life cycle. A typical day is highly varied and can range from defining customer needs, system design and test through to deployment of completed systems.
Software: key responsibilities include analysing software requirements, modelling software components, delivering high quality working code, implementing test cases and producing documentation. This role provides exposure to all aspects of the software development lifecycle whilst working alongside many experienced and highly-skilled engineers. The role allows a certain amount of creativity to deliver innovative solutions to some of the challenges which the business faces.
Mechanical: Working within multi-disciplined project teams this role involves mechanical design during all phases of the development life-cycle. Responsibility for the integrity of the mechanical design solution including safety, the cost of design, ease of manufacture and systems integration of mechanical solutions; the role takes a holistic approach to mechanical engineering.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Required Skills & Abilities
- Be self-motivated, act with professionalism and able to work within a team
- Have good written and verbal communication skills
- Be organised and able to prioritise their work
- Be flexible in their approach to their work
- Be able to perform tasks on their own initiative
- Be enthusiastic and driven towards achieving their goals
- Be interested in pursuing a career within General Dynamics UK
- Be willing to apply themselves across different technical domains to support the Business Streams
Education & Experience
Required Education & Experience
A minimum qualification of a 2:1 honours in a relevant Engineering subject is required for the General Dynamics UK Graduate Development Programme.
Previous work experience is desired either from short term or long-term placements.