SQL DBA - Kingston upon Thames
My client is a thriving Software House who provides Software as a Service platform directly into the Financial Services industry. They are looking for a Database Administrator who will be part of the Technical Operations team helping providing 2nd and 3rd Line Support of the organisations production, UAT and test data services. This role will report to the Infrastructure Manager who in turn reports to the Operations Director.
The salary for this role is ranging dependent on your experience but is highly competitive.
My client operates a number of mission critical data services - including a 3TB RAM/144 core/1.6m IOP 4 node SQL 2014 AlwaysOn cluster, Splunk and Tableau for business and operations data analytics.
- Maintenance of data servers to maintain best performance.
- Maintenance of monitoring tools and resolution of issues.
- Installing / updates of software (e.g. Windows, SQL server, Splunk Tableau).
- Working with other members of operations to ensure that the data environment is optimally configured.
- Overseeing application lead changes.
- Maintenance of clustering.
- Database design. Responsible for reviewing new database changes and packaging change scripts
- Performance monitoring/tuning (e.g. indexing, de-normalization, re-designing tables/stored procedures)
- Maintenance of a number of replication technologies
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Document the company's database environment
The Database administrator will be the 2nd line of contact for requests or tickets related to the maintenance of company's data services, escalating to other Operations teams. This will include, but not be limited to:
- Obtaining approvals for change requests before passing over to relevant team
- Capture and complete appropriate detail to ensure prompt resolution of incidents and completion of change requests
- Software installations
Skills and experience required:
- Windows 2008r2/2012r2/2016
- SQL versions 2012r2 or 2016
- On-call troubleshooting experience with at least one production SQL Server for a year. You don't have to be the only DBA or have DBA in your job description, but you should have been one of the people that the company would call if the database services stopped working
- Working with developers to improve the performance of that query by tweaking it or modifying indexes
- Ability to install software, and understand how you would install software at scale (on multiple systems at the same time)
- Service Desk or case-logging software.
- Familiarity with Active Directory and NTFS permissions
- Ability to demonstrate familiarity with the concepts of IP networking and firewalling
- Understanding of security concepts
- Tuning T-SQL queries to improve performance
- Understanding of programming, specifically .net
- Working with source control
- Understanding concepts of NoSQL
- Experience database platforms which are not MSSQL
Desirable Technical Skills
- VMware vSphere, Hyper V or familiarity with Virtualisation concepts
- Windows Server
- trong PowerShell or python scripting
- Layer 2/3 Networking
- Visual Studio development environments
- Experience of Amazon AWS, Azure or cloud computing