Software Engineering Lead
Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 800 staff across ten offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It?s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 60m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
We?re seeking a technical hands-on engineering lead to join us in our Edinburgh office and be part of our highly distributed global team. We have a mantra for scaling and as such this role will specifically focus on leading a squad in redesigning 3rd party solutions.
If you enjoy a hybrid role of technical leadership where you can utilise your experience to directly impact the growth and development of your engineering reports, alongside having influence across the wider Skyscanner business, this could be the place for you.
Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have created an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous teams (squads), they create their own backlog, they ship code whenever they want and don?t have dependencies in order to deliver to their users. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners.
What you can expect as an engineering manager
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- Overall responsibility for the success of your squad(s) across all scope of works
- Facilitation and collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles
- Leadership autonomy and growth development of your teams
- An opportunity to influence widely across strategic key projects and teams across the business
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineering manager or development lead ideally within an internet economy business or equivalent
- Use of agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement
- Experience of large scale distributed systems deployed to AWS
- Expertise in Java and Python
- Comfortable with operating at a high level of autonomy across a highly distributed global team
- Comfortable with challenging and offering solutions whilst working across full product development lifecycle
- With overall responsibility for the technical direction and development of your teams - people management / mentoring is a must as we continue to grow our tribe
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks you would expect from barista machines to massage chairs, to free food, holiday buying scheme as well as frequent townhalls with our CEO. What we really aim for is a place where people can thrive, be trusted to make impact and ultimately help us put our users first.
What you will get in Edinburgh -
Our Headquarters office is situated in the beautiful city of Edinburgh where the company was founded. An office which boasts an aircraft wing as its reception desk, in flight seating which double as massage chairs and many spaces to be creative and take time out to catch some head space. Situated near the Meadows park in the midst of a thriving start up and tech community, it?s the home of many of our Product Engineering and Growth tribes and with space to hire many more staff we are excited to welcome our new recruits.
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 60 million users while enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Join us now.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959443202