Dev Ops / Web Ops Engineer (Contract) Outside IR35
Ministry of Justice Contract (outside IR35)
? Job Title: Senior WebOps Engineer
? CV Submission Deadline:03/10 13:00
? The Maximum Pay Rate: £550 ltd
? Location: West Midlands: Axis House 10 Holliday Street
? Contract Length: asap ?02/06/18
? BPSS (DS) ? Baseline Personnel Security Standard (with a Disclosure Scotland)
Senior WebOps Engineer
Reports to: Lead Technical Architect
The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) is an executive agency of the Ministry of Justice. It performs two main functions: to process around 250,000 Lasting Power of Attorney applications per year (growing 20% year on year), and to supervise a cohort of around 40,000 deputies, whose role it is to manage the affairs of those who lack mental capacity.
The OPG is part way through a large-scale digital transformation programme, which currently comprises 5 products, 3 web-facing and 2 internal staff-facing:
- - A digital tool for making Lasting Power of Attorney applications online.
- - A suite of digital tools for deputies to perform their roles online.
- - A digital tool to enable online searches of OPG's public registers.
- - A replacement case management system.
- - A replacement document and data capture solution (referred to in this document as 'DDC systems' - scanning, document ingest and associated software) for an existing solution.
The OPG digital team uses Agile (Scrum) methodology to deliver and iterate these products. It works extremely closely with the Ministry of Justice's Digital Services division, with the Government Digital Service and with a variety of small suppliers, and the successful candidate should expect to work with a wide range of stakeholders to perform their role.
We are looking for an experienced WebOps engineer to join the team. Responsible for working with project teams to build and maintain automated deployment processes, to encourage common code ownership of the deployment stack amongst project developers, encourage the breaking down of silos between operations and development, and to monitor and administer cloud based infrastructure and platforms.
The applicant must have previous experience maintaining web applications on Linux servers in a production environment and using automated tooling to configure new servers.
- The candidate will help develop the technology and processes for deployment and monitoring of our applications
- Participating in sprint planning to work with developers and project teams to ensure projects are deployable and monitorable from the outside
- Participating in, and contributing to system and process architecture
- Working with product managers to understand user needs for new and existing services
- Working with product teams on a range of tools and services, improving products to meet user needs
- Working with, and supporting, development teams with application configuration for deployment, monitoring and other automation
- Working with developers to test, debug and troubleshoot issues and problems
- Evangelising devops culture
- Building and configuring new server platforms and the automated tooling to do so
- Operational management of Linux servers, delivering web application stacks
- Testing, debugging and troubleshooting of platform level problems
- Supporting development teams with configuring applications for deployment
- Working with third-party providers and government departments to support a variety of integrations
- Ensuring that security standards are adhered to
- As part of this role you will be expected to participate in the 2nd line in-house support and Out-of-Hours support rotas.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Due to security clearance requirements, applicants must have been resident in the UK for at least 5 years, and must not have spent more than 6 months out of the country in a 12 month period
- 4+ years WebOps responsibilities
- Experience working in an Agile environment across multiple projects
- Understanding of common web application architectures
- Experience configuring and managing Linux servers for serving a dynamic website
- Experience debugging a complex multi-server service
- Familiarity with network protocols - TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, etc.
- Experience of deploying and configuring machines in a cloud environment e.g. AWS, Rackspace
- Knowledge of application deployment strategies and Continuous Integration, particularly Jenkins
- Comfortable with configuration management tools: at least one of Salt, Chef, Puppet, Ansible or similar
- Previous experience deploying web services in PHP & Ruby or Python; or previous experience developing web applications in PHP & Ruby or Python
- Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as git or subversion
- Experience administering common open source databases like MySQL, Postgres or MongoDB
- Able to self manage and work alone as well as an integral part of a team
Desirable - but not essential
- Experience of team leading a DevOps team
- Experience as a web applications developer
- Working within a product-centric (rather than project based) environment
- Knowledge of installation and management of open source monitoring tools
- Experience with open source solutions and community
- Experience working with PHP frameworks (knowledge of Zend2 a bonus)
- Knowledge of monitoring and logging tools: Sensu, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana
- Metrics: ElasticBeats, Collectd, Statsd
- Containerisation: Docker Engine, Docker Compose, Docker Toolbox
- Cloud: EC2, ELB, Route53, S3, DynamoDB, SQS, Elasticache, RDS, VPC, Security Groups, ECS, IAM
- Provisioning: Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible
- Configuration Management: SaltStack
- Scripting: Bash, Python, Fabric
- Knowledge of automated regression testing
- Knowledge of Nginx
- Knowledge of Elasticsearch
- Maintain or actively contribute to existing open source project
- SC Clearance an advantage
Will be expected to be on site approximately 1 day per week in either Birmingham, Nottingham or London and can work from home for the remaining days. Will sometimes be expected to visit the alternate offices.
As part of this role will be expected to participate in the 2nd line in-house support and Out-of-Hours support rotas. May be required to work out of usual office hours on occasion.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959436565