Cyber Technical Specialist
BT Security is at the heart of the BT Global Services strategy, with a comprehensive portfolio and offering and incredible technical ability across its teams.
Purpose of the Role
• The role holder will be responsible for delivering use cases against the System Engineering of Security and Cyber products and solutions for both BT and its clients globally to time, cost and quality.
• The Cyber Technical Specialist will help BT Security to deliver integrated platforms meeting the requirements of our customers through following a defined end to end process. Our products cover a wide range of range of big data and cyber security products. The role holder will as a default deliver using the standard CSP Modules and associated products.
• The role involves the integration, solution design and delivery of new systems prior to entering formal support. The role holder is competent in supporting a mixture of technologies, typically including hardware, software, and networking. Technical authoring of solution documentation and plans is a key part of the role. He/she provides support in the formulation of network, technology, systems and information strategy and evolution plans, and operational support policies and procedures.
• Ability to clearly articulate the progress, risks, issues or any other aspect of cyber deliverables
• Ability to engage and communicate clearly in order to motivate people to deliver
• Show flexibility and a tenacity to provide the best possible outcome for BT
• Be adept at continual process improvement
• Technically focussed (software development in particular) and adept at adapting to new technical solutions
• Ability to estimate and assure effort required to deliver integrated solutions
• A committed and able member of a team who prefers team working to sole working
• Able to coach others within the team to deliver exceptional results
• Prepared to travel in UK or abroad regularly
• Appointment to this post is subject to the successful candidate gaining and maintaining the appropriate security clearance
• Meet with customers and work with them to refine their configuration needs against the standard Cyber Security Platform.
• Provide analytical and innovative input to projects.
• Provide feedback to product line to assist with further developing the capabilities of BT’s principal advanced security platforms and offerings.
• Assess platform requirements and provide recommendations on how to optimise use of available infrastructure.
• Provide assistance with deploying capabilities into customer environments based on continuous delivery methodologies.
• Identify useful sources of security data within a customer’s environment and assist with integrating them into deployed cyber capabilities.
• Create dashboards and reports based off wide range of telemetry and contextual data.
• Looking for opportunities to optimise the release engineering and continuous delivery frameworks.
• Promoting builds across multiple development, test, staging and production environments.
• Assist with creating the test data required to exercise various components.
• Work with customers to train them on new capabilities and evolve existing capabilities continuous deployment.
• Maintain knowledge of Security and Cyber telemetry, log feeds and intelligence platforms.
• Design and implement use cases to enable client sign off.
• Work closely with CSP Programme Managers, TDMs, TDA and Operations Analysts and Advanced Service Group
• Focus on avoiding scope creep outside change control
• Focus on delivery to time and acceleration to support client facing programmes
• To manage complex and ambiguous issues, seeing through the blockages in order to professionally and efficiently manage incidents and push the wider team to overcome the challenge and meet customer expectations
• Work with customers to identify which data sources are available to fulfil use cases and get an understanding on how the data is delivered and structured.
• During delivery the Cyber Technical Specialists will work with the customer data sources and configure parsers to extract specific fields from the customer data sources if required to enable the use cases.
• As part of the delivery establish interface contracts (using a standard SPE-provided template) for each data source that the customer will provide as part of the solution.
The ideal candidate would have some experience with the following. A partial match with parallel skills would be considered.
1. Knowledge and understanding of Cyber Security practices, especially threat analysis and the ability to write rules to identify threats.
2. Knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem and its various query engines such as: Hive, Impala, Pig
3. Applied knowledge leveraging scripting skills to find innovative approaches to problems, esp. languages such as Python or Bash
4. Knowledge of the Elasticsearch and Kibana technologies.
5. Ability to define Jira workflows
6. Understanding of how Spark and/or Kafka works is desirable
7. Extensive experience with continuous delivery environments.
8. Strong Linux skills
9. Understanding of network protocols
10. Experience deploying and supporting full stack applications including, frontends, backends, datastores, etc
11. Understanding of git workflows: branching, tagging, pull requests, etc.
12. Understanding of Agile and scrum methodologies.
As this is a Lead role, the candidate will be able to
• Work under broad direction.
• Be Fully accountable for own technical work and project responsibilities.
• Receives assignments in the form of objectives.
• Work is often self-initiated.
• Make a difference to how BT delivers use cases to our CSP customers
• Develop themselves to stay relevant and effective in the role over time
At BT, we’re creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re happy to consider ways of working that will mean you can perform at your best. If you want to talk about working part-time or as a job share in this role, please apply and we’ll do our best to get the balance right."