Cyber Platform and Infrastructure Engineer
Cyber Platform and Infrastructure Engineer
BT Security is at the heart of the BT Global Services strategy, with a comprehensive portfolio and offering and incredible technical ability across its teams.
Purpose of the Role
The role holder will be responsible for supporting the System Engineering and Delivery of Security products and solutions for both BT and its clients globally to time, cost and quality. The Platform & Infrastructure Engineer is a DevOps style role focused on the iterative building and enhancing of platform and infrastructure services across a wide range of technologies. The Platform & Infrastructure Engineer will work to support highly automated release engineering environments and assist with platform design and deployment into customer environments. The role holder will leverage his existing DevOps and infrastructure skills and apply them to bleeding edge cyber security technologies at a global scale.
- Ability to engage and communicate clearly in order to motivate people to deliver
- Show flexibility and a tenacity to provide the best possible outcome for BT
- Be adept at continual process improvement
- A committed and able member of a team who prefers team working to sole working
- Able to coach others within the team to deliver exceptional results
- Prepared to travel in UK or abroad, may need to spend extended periods at client sites
- Appropriate UK clearances held
What I'll be doing
- Assist with further developing the capabilities of BT’s principal advanced security platforms and offerings.
- To provide analytical and innovative input to projects.
- Upskill team members in the domain of health and performance optimisation for network and compute infrastructure.
- Define compute and network infrastructure templates to support a wide range of technologies for both on premises and cloud-based platforms.
- Assist with designing, building and maintaining a range of infrastructure automation, continuous integration and delivery capabilities.
- Assess platform requirements and provide recommendations on how to optimise use of available infrastructure.
- Provide assistance with deploying capabilities into customer environments based on continuous delivery methodologies.
- Design, build and continue to evolve availability and performance monitoring capabilities across a wide range of infrastructure.
- Leverage open source technology to create dashboards and reports to communicate the health and performance of compute and network infrastructure.
- Look for opportunities to optimise the release engineering and continuous delivery frameworks.
- Maintain knowledge of infrastructure and platform security practices.
- Maintain knowledge of Security and Cyber telemetry, log feeds and intelligence platforms.
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of current threat trends and security technologies.
- Ruthless focus on avoiding scope creep outside change control
- Ruthless focus on delivery to time and acceleration to support client facing programmes
- To manage complex and ambiguous issues, seeing through the blockages in order to professionally and efficiently manage incidents and push the wider team to overcome the challenge and meet customer expectations
The skills and experience that you need
- Regular Exposure to External Customers on a Face to Face Basis
- Effective communication skills including negotiation skills and diplomacy.
- Strong analytical and technical skills and knowledge of test environment and system integration.
- A pragmatic and practical approach.
- Excellent at making appropriate decisions and providing key input at times under significant pressure.
- Proven ability to respond efficiently to Priority Operational Requirements
- Ideally DV Cleared or capable of being DV Cleared
- Experienced in sensitive data handling
- Experience of working in a complex business environment
- Familiarity with JIRA or equivalent
- Applied experience of scripting skills to find innovative approaches to problems.
- Extensive experience with continuous delivery environments.
- Scripting in a language such as Python or Bash.
- Great Linux skills.
- Windows skills a bonus.
- Understanding of network protocols.
- Knowledge on how switches and routers work.
- Experience deploying and supporting full stack applications including, frontends, backends, datastores, etc.
- Understanding of git workflows: branching, tagging, pull requests, etc.
- Understanding of Agile and scrum methodologies.
- Knowledge on how to use Docker.
- Great understanding on how to diagnose and improve infrastructure performance issues.
- An understanding on cloud-based infrastructure platforms such as AWS and Azure.
- Knowledge of the Elasticsearch and Kibana technologies is a bonus.
- Knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem is a bonus.
- Understanding of how Spark works is a bonus.
- Understanding of how Kafka works is bonus.