Software Engineer - Distributed Systems
Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 800 staff across ten offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It?s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 60m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
We are seeking distributed systems engineers to join us in our London office and be part of our highly distributed global team. We have a mantra for scaling and innovation and as such we are recruiting across several our teams and this role has arisen due to that continued growth.
If you enjoy a range of technical challenges across areas such as machine learning, data engineering, cloud services, developer enablement, scalability, optimisation, real time accuracy, building world class APIs and automation then this could be the place where you can utilise your experience to have direct impact on the growth and development of our product.
Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have created an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous teams (squads), they create their own backlog, they ship code whenever they want and don?t have dependencies in order to deliver to their users. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners.
What you can expect as a software engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- Overall responsibility of multiple key product feature components within your area
- You will define and implement services that make up a complex sub system within the scope of your area
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles
- An opportunity to influence the engineers around you
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineer ideally within an internet economy business or highly scalable environment such as messaging/streaming
- Metrics driven approach to decision making, prioritisation and continuous deployment
- Use of agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement
- Comfortable balancing trade offs between technical, analytical and product needs
- Strong customer focus and actively challenge not impactful work
- You make others better proactively through code reviews, documentation, technical guidance and mentoring
- You will work with or lead within your team to break down solutions into small tasks to be completed autonomously
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS
- We don?t expect you to be an expert in all of these technologies but would anticipate experience with some combined with a curiosity for others- Java, Python, .NET, C#, Docker, Elastic Search, AWS (or similar) NoSQL
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks you would expect from barista machines to massage chairs, to free food, holiday buying scheme as well as frequent townhalls with our CEO. What we really aim for is a place where people can thrive, be trusted to make impact and ultimately help us put our users first.
What you will get in London -
An office which boasts mini hotel rooms, a BBQ terrace and cupola reception, its dog friendly and situated in London?s Tottenham Court Road amidst a thriving tech community and mature social scene. It?s the home of our data tribe and with space to hire many more staff we are excited to welcome our new recruits.
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 60 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Join us now.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959443911