Configuration (Management) Engineer
Configuration (Management) Engineer
Location South Wales
Job Type Engineering
Contract Type Permanent
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This role is for a Senior Configuration Engineer to support the overall system engineering team. The team is responsible for capturing the overall goal architecture for the project, using Artisan RTS, as well as the subset applicable for each of the project increments. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to be there at the start in constructing a System Configuration Management strategy that shall reflect the fast pace and dynamism of GDMS. Your role will be to define, deploy and implement system configuration management policy, along with the processes behind the policy and thereafter provide Configuration Management expertise on the programme.
The initial phase of your employment will be to:
• Document a configuration management (CM) concept that spans the complete development cycle that references industry best practice and supports the use of Agile Methodology.
• Identity CM requirements that cover the system, hardware, software and data/info requirements.
• Manage and deliver the CM requirements against the overall CM plan for the programme.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining the configuration management plan
• Responsible for defining, implementing, managing version control and processes
• Responsible for communicating and controlling release plans for fielded and test environments.
• Responsible for ensuring all releases and build processes are accurately documented and are reported through the approved toolset.
• Responsible for conducting Configuration Reviews to include but not limited to requirements, problem reports, defects and bug reports.• Collaborate with the project design / build team in support of multiple, concurrent configuration baselines in line with the CM Plan
• Provide guidance to engineers on the Configuration Management Processes they need to follow.
- Degree qualification (2:1 honours or above) in an Engineering (system, software, electronic communications, computer systems) or related discipline
- Extensive hands-on working experience of configuration management within a systems engineering Technology Company.
- Experienced CM practitioner in all hardware and software CM related disciplines, including Configuration Control, Configuration Status Accounting, CM Audits, Baseline Management, Software Configuration Management, CM database requirements and as-built management.
- Experience of the application and use of PDMLink tool.
- Ability to perform within a multi-functional programme team comprising both company staff and the customer.
- Demonstrated ability to organise own work and those of others.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work across multi-functional teams and businesses dealing with software and hardware products.
- Experience in roles that demonstrate technical leadership and application of system engineering skills, with a track record of delivery.
- Demonstrates understanding of the system/product engineering lifecycle and phases, and challenges associated with system engineering in a delivery focussed, commercially successful organisation.
- Confident and effective dealing with Customers and End Users
- Defence/aerospace industry background
- Possess an internationally recognized CM certification.
- Familiar with tactical network infrastructures including networks, radios and system management considerations.
- Good understanding of messaging and routing protocols, TCP/IP, UDP, including those applicable to wireless (as well as wired) environments