Market Researcher (Business to Business)
If you like collecting data and have a flair for communicating large amounts of information, then a role as a market researcher could be for you?
As a market researcher you collect and analyse data and information and then present it to your clients. The information you provide helps them to make informed political, social and economic decisions.
You may be employed directly by a company (known as client-side), where you would collect information on customer opinions, investment and marketing decisions. The majority of market researchers, however, are employed by marketing agencies that range in size, where work is carried out on numerous projects for different companies and industries.
You will specialise in either quantitative or qualitative research. Quantitative research involves working with statistics and percentages and can deliver quick results.
Qualitative research involves analysing opinions and can provide the reasons behind certain percentages. Qualitative research is a longer process, sometimes lasting years.
The exact type of work you will carry out varies according to your employer (whether you work client-side or for an agency), the industry in which the client is based and the type of research you carry out.
In general though, tasks can include:
- telephoning and liaising with clients to negotiate and agree research projects;
- preparing briefs and commissioning research;
- formulating a plan or proposal and presenting it to the client or senior management;
- writing and managing the distribution of surveys and questionnaires;
- briefing interviewers and researchers;
- liaising with and managing survey staff;
- moderating focus groups;
- undertaking ethnographic research (observing people in their homes and other environments);
- conducting qualitative or quantitative surveys, which may involve field, interview or focus group assessments;
- using statistical software to manage and organise information;
- monitoring the progress of research projects;
- analysing and interpreting data to identify patterns and solutions, including surveys and focus group transcripts;
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959430442